Logo

1986 Johnson 8hp NO SPARK

2400hilux

"Have a friends 1986 8hp sailm

"Have a friends 1986 8hp sailmaster made by johnson, it has no spark and I have tested the continuity of the coils (good) and the kill switch (good) and I tested the stator coil as best as I could without a manual seemed to have resistance which leads me to believing it is the power pack but I wanted some imput before I buy a new powerpack.
Thanks"

Also if anyone has a better wa

Also if anyone has a better way of testing the stator and or the sensor under the flywheel let me know as I don not have a manual for this engine

"Travis, sounds like you did e

"Travis, sounds like you did everything right - the powerpack is the "weak link" in that particular igniton...

A bad stator will "usually" show up with no continuity at all if it is toasted...

Although it can be tested with a DVA tester..."

"Normally the powerpack on tho

"Normally the powerpack on those engines are reliable, but still the weakest link.
Before changing be sure You use Champion spark plugs (QL77JC4 or L77JC4). If only NGK available, stay away from 'R' plugs.
As for a final test, disconnect the black/yellow cable from the powerpack to eliminate the stop circuit. A simple ohm test might indicate an ok switch, but putting on 240Volts in the circuit is a different thing."

being that this is a pointless

being that this is a pointless ignition is there not some sort of sensor to signal the power pack when to fire??

"u do have a small sensor,and

"u do have a small sensor,and a chrg coil.In my opinion,..90% of ignition failures,are power pack related."

"Travis, the stator provides A

"Travis, the stator provides AC power to the powerpack (which rectifies the AC into DC and then stores it) and the sensor (trigger) tells it when to fire and to which coil.

Usually a simple resitance test on the stator and trigger is sufficient to tell whether or not they are fried. Although the windings may be intact and putting out less than the required power (which is tested by other means), usually if either the sensor or stator go, they go good. So as long as you have continuity, they are probably doing their job - ditto the coils..."

Back