Logo

Replacing head gasket

A

Arent-ned508

"Hi,

I'm replacing the

"Hi,

I'm replacing the head gasket on a OMC Zephyr two-stroke engine.
This engine is based on a Evinrude powerhead, I believe a 35hp.
I found a new gasket, but I'm still trying to find out how much torque I need on the gasket bolts, to get everything back the right way.

Does anyone have an idea?

Gr, Arent"

180 inch-lbs-----Make sure hea

180 inch-lbs-----Make sure head is FLAT ---- It is warped now!!!!!

"Thanks motor geru,

I belie

"Thanks motor geru,

I believe the head is flat, don't understand what you mean by Warped??????"

"By the way, I was a little mi

"By the way, I was a little mistaken about the hp, I looked up some more info I had, and it told me this:

The sail drive is a rather unique animal. The powerhead is "inboard" and the hull has a hole cut into it where the mid-section and gearcase end up sticking thru the bottom of the hull. I don't believe the unit pivots to provide steering, therefore steering is handled by the boat's rudder. It does use the same powerhead as the JohnnyRude 20-30 hp outboards, but it's hp is "de-rated" - the larger displacement block provides better thrust for moving large sail boats. Hope this helps your understanding of the Sail Drive a little.

So it's not a 35hp, does that make a difference??

Gr, Arent"

"All heads after service will

"All heads after service will be " bent / warped " and not quite flat,it is the nature of aluminium castings!!!.You need to make sure it is flat to 0.002" otherwise you will not squeeze the gasket properly."

Nothing to the saildrive at al

Nothing to the saildrive at all.Just the 35hp block with small intake ports.I sail / race as well.Not a good saltwater unit and not long in production.

I have a Ted Williams 5 Hp tha

I have a Ted Williams 5 Hp that I am looking at changing the lower unit oil but the fill plug is on top of the vent plug! Is this the right method or do you fill from the bottom and vent from the top? or fill from the top and vent from the bottom. thanks for any help

Marshall

Back