Logo

1987 Dixie 299 351 velvet drive drive line question

romans116

"The large brass keeper nut th

"The large brass keeper nut that screws over the brass unit where the shaft goes out the boat will not stay tight. If I tighten it down too much, it heats up. There is a stainless steel collar between it and the coupling plate on the tranny. There is only about 4 inches total space in there. Where should the ss collar be and how tight should the keeper nut be? Is the motor out of alingment maybe? Thanks for help."

"Are you referring to the pack

"Are you referring to the packing nut on the shaft log? If so, is it actually loose or is it just leaking? It sounds like you need now packing."

It will unscrew itself complet

It will unscrew itself completely if I do not tighten with a wrench to where it will heat up. I guess i need to pull the shaft to get to the packing? Where should the ss collar be tightened down at?

"There are two places you can

"There are two places you can usually get monkey wrenches on to adjust the brass fittings for the packing seal where the shaft goes through the bottom of the boat. You need two wrenches, one to hold the one brass fitting and the other to loosen up the other fitting. It is at this point in the boat that WATER actually comes through the center of the brass fitting so as to lubricate the shaft so it does not get hot. The water should drip every four to six seconds. If you are getting no drip, you will burn up your shaft because there is no water to lubricate the shaft. Loosen the fittings and adjust while the boat is in the water. Loosen until you see the drip of water come out of the center of the brass fitting and land in the bildge every 4-6 seconds, then tighten up the two brass fittings tightly with the monkey wrenches, pulling the one and pushing the other so that they lock against each other. Hope this helps."

This one only has one brass nu

This one only has one brass nut and the stainless steel collar that is held in place by a hex screw. I will get it open and take a pix.

"Does the ss collar lock again

"Does the ss collar lock against the packing nut? Slide it to the point were it is touching the packing nut, than lock the packing nut against the collar using it as a locking collar. Also, you shouldn't need to pull the prop shaft to replace the packing. Pull out the packing that you have, measure and cut, than reinstall using a pick or a small straight screw driver. Hope this helps."

"I agree, sounds like you need

"I agree, sounds like you need new packing because there is no room left to adjust to allow a small amount of water to lubricate the shaft..."

Sounds like I got some work to

Sounds like I got some work to do. Hope to pull the cover and part of the floor this weekend to make it easier to get to. Will keep you all posted. Thanks

"Loosened up the brass nut and

"Loosened up the brass nut and pulled a wad of rope like material out of it about 3 inches long. When I get new packing, how much should you put in it? I guess the ss nut is the keeper that keeps the brass nut from completely loosening up?"

Back