Logo

Sears 4hp

micheal

"I have a Sears 4hp outboard m

"I have a Sears 4hp outboard motor, name plate has only a stamped number on it 101298. The motor is green except for the top which is half white. It has a valve to change fuel from outboard tank to a remote gas tank. Need help on what I have and where can I get parts."

"Michael, that isn't much

"Michael, that isn't much to go on. Sears motors were built by a whole slew of mfg's over the years.

It isn't a Chrysler, Westbend, Clinton, Tanaka or Force built, because they never made a 4 horse for Sears.

Best guess would be an Eska built model from the 70's (sold as Ted Williams Gamefisher). If it's older than that it would be McCulloch built (1960's - Elgin model). Any of those names on the hood?

If it's an Eska, the powerhead was built by Tecumseh and many small engine places may be able to help you with parts.

If it's a McCulloch then you have a 50/50 shot of finding parts. McCulloch was bought out by MTD but they didn't get all the patents - so some parts may be available, for other you may have to go to an engine recycler - depending on what you need.

Look around on the motor a little more for numbers. McCulloch models started with a prefix of 574 and the Eska's were 217 (as in 217.58580 etc)..."

"Galamb,I did find a tag on th

"Galamb,I did find a tag on the side of the powerhead.The top number 642-075 is larger than the bottom 6206373 Thank you for your help."

"I recently bought a 4 horse m

"I recently bought a 4 horse motor from a man who had it in storage for the last 4 years. It is an older sears model 217-58580. It is a clean motor and looks like it is in pretty good shape.

The problem that I have is that I do not know much about the motor. It has a valve to go to a remote tank but I am not sure what type of fitting a need to make that happen. It had some old gas in the tank on top of motor, so I tried starting it up. The prop would turn when I pull the cord but it did not fire up.

What steps do you suggest I take to see if I can get it running. Do I need to change the plug, empty out the old gas? I am open for any and all suggestions.

It is a 2 cycle and it recommends a 32:1 ratio of gas/oil. Does that sound right? I have tried searching for a manual for it but have not had any luck.

Thanks, and hope to hear some responses."

Re: "I have a Sears 4hp outboard m

I too have an engine just like you're describing and the motor on mine is an early Techumseh. I'm going to try to get my parts for a complete rebuild on the engine itself from the local Mower Shop and if need be on the Internet. Im lucky enough that I still have the Original Owners Manual with mine.

Re: "I have a Sears 4hp outboard m

I too have an engine just like you're describing and the motor on mine is an early Techumseh. I'm going to try to get my parts for a complete rebuild on the engine itself from the local Mower Shop and if need be on the Internet. Im lucky enough that I still have the Original Owners Manual with mine.

My son-in-law has the same motor with a Tecumseh power head. It has a cracked flywheel and he is talking about selling it for parts.

Back