Logo

MD7A Starter wonbt shut off

M

Mike Barnett

"What would cause a starter to

"What would cause a starter to continue to operate after the key is turned off? Disconnecting the battery is the only way to stop it. In checking the schematic, it appears all wires are connected properly but the diagram is somewhat vague. Thank you, MB"

"Tilt!!! MB, I would warn abou

"Tilt!!! MB, I would warn about disconnecting the battery while the engine is running. It could destory the alternator...you probably have a stuck starter solenoid.
BobT"

Make sure bendix gear is not s

Make sure bendix gear is not sticking in flywheel ring gear.

"Having same problem on dp 41

"Having same problem on dp 41 diesel (started at 3500 hrs) maybe inherent problem in all starters?
148400.jpg
I have a question...what is a reasonable price for a dp 41 exhaust manifold? Thanks"

"Thanks Bob, Dick & BC Div

"Thanks Bob, Dick & BC Diver. Oddly enough, when I pull the starter out and operate it on the bench w/ a battery, the solenoid oerates correctly, i.e. it disengages. However when bolted onto the engine, it continues to stay engaged until main batt power is cut. (I'm aware of the potential damage to the alternator by cutting power, thanks) Could this be related to a poor ground or other wiring glitch? In checking the diagrams, everything seems in order. MB"

"MB,
Only two things will kee

"MB,
Only two things will keep the starter engaged. Either, like Dick said, it's locked in the fly wheel ring gear or you still have electrical power after releasing the key. If it's stuck in the ring gear, you probably have a weak solenoid spring or a binding starter gear. If you still have power after releasing the key, it's the switch. A bad ground would not keep it engaged. The hot side, not he ground breaks when released, or at least that should be the case. Did you bench test it with the switch or did you connect directly to battery? I'd bet it's the switch.

BobT"

Back