Logo

Yamaha Malta

magnie

"Hi,

I have just purchased

"Hi,

I have just purchased a second hand yamaha malta and there doesn't appear to be any water coming out the tale tale, only exhaust gas. I take it the tale tale is the two small holes half way down the shaft? Someone said that you may have to run the engine until it warms up 5 or 10 minutes before water comes from there, but I dont want to damage it.
I tried taking the casing of to have a look but it would only drop about an inch, can't seem to get it any further. Any ideas?"

"hi magnus i don't know if

"hi magnus i don't know if this is resolved,if you undo the bolts on the bottom leg. there is a rubber gromit halfway down the leg there is a bolt & clamp in there this has to be loosend or removed this will allow you to remove the bottom leg.i can't remember if the telltale runs or if engine has to be heated maybe worthwhile a removal to see if impeller is free.let me know how you get on"

"erm no.
2 holes down the leg

"erm no.
2 holes down the leg are EXHAUST holes.

tell-tale is on the underside of the powerhead on the TILLER side.

It could just be blocked by a piece of corrosion- stick something up it and then see if any water appears,
if not, your cooling system could be blocked further in the cylinder block, or your impeller could be shagged (like one i serviced today)"

"I had exactly the same proble

"I had exactly the same problem a short time ago i striped the engine and the entire cooling system only to find no improvement. I found out afterwards that most of the cooling water runs down the inside of the shaft and you are only supposed to get a fine spray coming out of the exhaust.
As long as you DO get some spray and it is not to warm i would not be to worried.

run it in sweet water for a while and keep an eye on it to flush out any salt residue.(stop immediately if the spray gets to warm)

If you still feel the cooling system is blocked you can open the 6 bolts on the bottom of the main body of the engine to separate the shaft from the main body of the engine. This opens up the cooling system and you can physically scrape out any salt (carefully) and blow through it to make sure it is not blocked.

Be careful opening the bolts as they are probably seised with salt
use plenty of WD-40 or similar to free them up and dissolve away any salt.
good luck, let me know how you get on."

"I too have Yam Malta 3. I us

"I too have Yam Malta 3. I used it the other day after not using it for about 6 months. Started on second pull, but the water jet was poor. poked a piece of wire in and it freed up. This was like this last year also. It blocks up again so freed again. After about 12 minutes of running, I noticed the water jet very warm and then the motor seemed to get slower and slower and then cut out and would not start again. I left the motor for a couple of hours and it still would not start. After lots of pull starts it finally got going again, but after about 10 minutes it was going to cut out again, so I switched it off. Why does it overheat when the water is still coming out. Why did it not start again? I presume as water still coming out the impeller is okay. Any ideas please would be useful before I start to strip it down. Thanks"

"peter
id say you'll hav

"peter
id say you'll have to open up the cooling system and clean it. i expect there is just not enough water circulating to keep the engine cool. dont run it to long (like till it starts to slow down by its self) or you may do serious irrepreble damage, good luck"

"Hi I think I have aquired a Y

"Hi I think I have aquired a Yamaha malta it was starting reasonably at first but now it is throwing fuel out of the black air duct around the carb ,does any one know what it is please and what I could do to sort it, I too have only a fine spray coming out of the two holes at the back on the shaft."

On my Malta the carb float was

On my Malta the carb float wasn't shutting the needle valve off properly allowing the pump to push fuel through the carb and out of the casing. The upper carb casting wasn't holding the pin that pivots the carb float effectively and needed some adjustment.

Back