Logo

1965 110 98 hp lower unit help

dutch515

"Hi all, im new to this site a

"Hi all, im new to this site and new to merc outboards. I just got two new outboards, one is a 1965 110 9.8 hp and the guy I got it from said it wouldnt turn over. I took the lower unit off and the motor turns fine and has good compression. The long shaft doesnt turn freely and I think the gears are sheared or bent. Can these be replaced and how, or will I have to get a new lower unit. Thanks in advance, Dutch

p.s. I do have pics if anyone wants me to post them."

"Jesse, they can be replaced,

"Jesse, they can be replaced, but you would probably find it cheaper to get ahold of a used lower unit. Any lower from either the 9.8's or 7.5's (same vintage) will fit. They pop up fairly often on Ebay."

"say I was to replace the gear

"say I was to replace the gears, do those spacers that ride the prop shaft screw out or would I have to use a puller?"

"Had to blow the dust off an o

"Had to blow the dust off an old manual to get that info

After the propeller is off, the thrust hub just slides off, but the cover nut winds out - it's like a locking ring that butts up against the bearing carrier. (off is in a Clockwise direction - left hand thread).

Before you get that far though, drain the lower unit and remove the waterpump (including the base and the seals).

There is a tool for taking the covernut off but you may be able to improvise. However, this is a 40+ year old motor and it may be well seized into the housing (and maybe some heat will help).

Alternately, you can drill it (just enough to break through it without nicking the gearcase)and then snap it right out (but make sure you can secure a replacement before going that way)...

Once you have the covernut removed the propshaft should come out along with most of the "guts". If it won't budge, you can take it out with a slide hammer. Of course Merc has an adapter, but once again you can improvise.

I don't have diagrams for anything this old. The newer models have a threaded bearing carrier (instead of the cover nut) but is quite similar otherwise, so I will post what I can here...

If you are going to undertake this, I suggest you find an older version of Seloc's Tune Up and Repair manual for 1 and 2 cylinder models - it will nicely outline the entire process, including reassembly, checking backlash before disassembly etc. You will however, need to find an actual "book" version. The new "on-line" ones have been amended to show the screw in bearing carriers. Your particular lower unit is an "early" style "B".

148351.jpg

148352.jpg
"

Back