Logo

Help newbie

jeauxman

"Hello. I looking for some ex

"Hello. I looking for some expertise. I am looking to buy a boat/motor for family weekend fun on the lake. I found a 1997 Merc LX Offshore motor that the guy sezs has only 50 hours and is valued a bit over $4,500...see attached pictures. If all is working on this unit, is this a fair price? I am actually considering trading him my motorcycle straight up for the motor.
148214.jpg
148215.jpg
148216.jpg
"

"Joseph, you will get differin

"Joseph, you will get differing opinions - so here's mine to start you off. The motor is 11 years old. And only has 50 some hours on it. So basically it was either run less than 5 hours a year (basically 1 weekend during the summer) or it was used a fair bit one or two summers and then sat around.

More motors die from sitting around then being used. I would expect 500 hours on a reasonably used 11 year old motor. Lack of use usually means lack of maintenance. So at the very least this motor would need a good bit of routine maint/tune up. If you can do it yourself, great, if not, count on 300-500 bucks to have it done for you.

I'm semi-retired and have too much time on my hands. I keep a spread sheet of what motors sell for on Ebay and make notes as to what the local marina's want for them.

A 135 of that vintage usually goes for 3 grand or less in the used market - the price you note sounds like a dealer price.

If a shop is selling this, it has been tuned up - new plugs, impeller, gear oil, tested for compression (powerhead and lower), and they are offering say a 6 month warranty, I may be inclined to pay the 4.5k they want (if I couldn't do the work myself), but other than that, it sounds a bit over priced....

As to the motor itself, it's a good motor..."

"Joseph, I bought a 93 Merc V

"Joseph, I bought a 93 Merc V135 last summer. It is very similar to that motor. I agree that it is a good motor, but I was able to give mine the once over before buying it. I knew the compression was good and was pretty sure the lower unit was good as well. I paid $1K for it, at a used boat dealer. I had checked around the new boat dealers and they won't touch any outboard over 5 years old, however, this guy will sell anything. I was able to make a fair deal, I thought, since he got it on a trade for nothing.

I would look on the NADA for a reference value, but I agree with Graham and think you should pay no more than three grand for it."

That is a little high if no wo

That is a little high if no work has been done to is. $3000 max. I recently sold an '86 split cowl I had for $1500 with the P/T fixed and tuned up. Good unit that will run forever.

Thanks guys. I confronted the

Thanks guys. I confronted the guy with the NADA value and asked if he would be willing to meet me at a dealer and have the motor tuned up and inspected. He hasnt responded and I really do not think he will. Thanks again for all the great advice!

Back