Logo

Motorola marine alternator

I just installed a rebuilt one

I just installed a rebuilt one on my 87 3.0 Liter. Should the Alternator have a ground run to the negative terminal of the battery? It seems to work fine without it. Also where can I find a manual for the alternator?

The alt is grounded through it

The alt is grounded through it's metal brackets to the engine. The OMC manual for your engine will have an alternator section in it.

*Some* Motorola's

*Some* Motorola's have a specific ground terminal that must be well grounded with a ground wire. The alternator can fail in short order if not grounded. If it doesn't have a specific ground terminal then it's through the chassis just like most other alt.

"Thanks all. The guy who sold

"Thanks all. The guy who sold me the alternator said to ground it, but I have been getting conflicting advice. I think I will ground it because it does have a ground terminal.

Thanks again."

back when I was Caterpillar te

back when I was Caterpillar tech we had the Motorola's come out as a service replacement for the Delco on the small D3/D4 dozers.... we killed a lot of alternators before we learned they must be grounded.

I connected the ground and the

I connected the ground and the voltmeter says it is putting out a steady 11.75 volts for a while then I hear a whine from the alternator and it starts putting out 15 volts. Is that normal?

Back