Logo

WAVES

plumcrazy

"New guy here...just looking t

"New guy here...just looking to get my boat ready for summer.

Quick run-down:

I picked up a 72 SlickCraft SS194 and have since repaired the floor, replaced the seats and worked on the electical as required.

The first summer I had it I replaced the points with a Pertronix unit and did the basic tune-up and repairs and added new hoses all around. She ran ok but would die after about an hour run-time. Start back up after a long wait and then would die again.
I finally chased it down to the coil getting hot and dropping out.

Having replaced that, I fired it up at the house (I use a deep cattle trough to keep the lower unit in water) and it runs great.
The second summer I ran her around the lake for a few hours, but it felt like I was loosing power. After awhile I called it a day and took her home.
I went out a week later and she would barely pull her own weight. Now it will start and idle, but as soon as a load is applied she "bogs" down until I take the load off and then she runs fine.
I'm guessing carb replacement and if that doesn't fix it, a rebuild of the motor.
That is unless someone here has ideas.

I'm pretty much on my own down here (near Branson, MO), most of the shops deal with later years or outboards only, so any advice would be appreciated.

Wayne S"

"I forgot to add a picture of

"I forgot to add a picture of the lady
148103.jpg
SS 194

"flame arrester clean? the che

"flame arrester clean? the cheap foam insulation in my 70 slickcraft was all rotting and flaking off and plugging the flame arrester with this really fine material... there no symptoms here that would be fixed by rebuilding the motor...that makes no sense..wow... you could compression test it for laughs....
Could be the carb, or simply a fuel filter, or fuel pump, or anti-siphon valve if your tank has one - 72 prolly doesn't, or even a clogged tank vent - wasps like to plug the screen with mud...visual inspections first..then throw the cheap parts at it like fuel filter"

"The flame arrester is metal a

"The flame arrester is metal and I ran it through my parts cleaner while changing everything else.
The more I look at it, it has to be something along the fuel system.
I put a new fuel pump on and am running two filters (one water separator for OTR trucks and one clear one, so I can see the fuel move).
I'll probably replace the carb if I can find a good one that doesn't cost the firstborn.

Thanks for the replies
Wayne S"

Try running a remote tank and

Try running a remote tank and see what happens. Also check all cylinders for spark and your dist.cap for cracks.

"Good spark and new cap and wi

"Good spark and new cap and wires
thumbs_up.gif

I'll get more pics up and probably move her to the for sale section...I found a 66 GTO Convertible and Mama said I can only have one summer cruizer
biggrin.gif

Wayne S"

Back