Logo

Flow Scan

jbthehut

"With the cost of fuel going t

"With the cost of fuel going through the roof, I'm looking very serious at installing flowscans on my 1977 270hp 350's. Any suggestions of make and model? I'm already doing a complete exchaust rebuild ss I have to look for a bargain, but I don't want to buy junk either."

"Lowrance makes a system for t

"Lowrance makes a system for their NEMA Network system. You can get the LMF 400 that comes with a fuel flow meter and purchase extra one for dual engines and also get a tank sensor and if you really want to get fancy you can get Bennit Trim Tab system. Everything runs through the backbone NEMA Network cabling . Here is a web site of many that sells these systems http://www.hodgesmarine.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=LMF+400

I have this complete system running my chart plotter, radar, depth finder, fuel system(s) twin 454 Crusaders and trim tabs. The LMF 400 is easy to program how you want information to look! Give you all kinds of data if you set-up the tank sensor part of it! i.e. distance to empty, low level alarm and on and on!"

We have the Garmin 4212 chartp

We have the Garmin 4212 chartplotter and I understand that there will be sensors coming out this spring that will also intergrate the data to the display of the 4212. Our buddy Sean Furlong had told me about it.

I have floscan I THINK they are the 5532-B..But I can't remember it reads up to 50GPH and has an analog dial. Man I hope they never read 50 GPH...between the two of them THAT REALLY reads $400.00 per hour

"I recently installed my 4212

"I recently installed my 4212 in my helm. Can't wait for the Garmin flowscans (show MPG!). Also waiting for the "HD" 24" radar to be released. Here is my helm installation:

Flowscans are great also.
148152.jpg
Garmin 4212 Installation

"No, not really. Lots of fibe

"No, not really. Lots of fiberglass + metal dust in cutting of old helm.
I wonder how easy the Garmin fuel flow sensor system will be to install?"

Only if the battery is still u

Only if the battery is still up--and with my grand kids hitting the button all the time...Wait; it still works: "That was easy!"

Jeff

PS: My FloScan has paid for itself many times over by now.

Would you use a Flow Scan in a

Would you use a Flow Scan in a single engine application? Would I benefit by adding one?

"YES. Of course. Most motor

"YES. Of course. Most motor applications can benefit from a fuel usage meter. Anything under 50 HP probably not, since your fuel usage is too low to register on some fuel usage meters."

I have one FloScan and twin en

I have one FloScan and twin engines (I'm too cheap to spring for a second flowmeter) and it STILL pays for itself! I compare performance based on fill up and throttle position.

Go for it.

Jeff

PS:

Jeff do you have the 9000 seri

Jeff do you have the 9000 series? i install the 9000 with 2 sensors for my 454s over the winter and would like to know if there is a lot of calibrations to be done once i am in the water

"I have the earlier (cheap

"I have the earlier (cheaper) version. The big trick with any flowmeter is to:

1. Ensure that no air leaks into the fuel line before the flowmeter. The tiniest leak--I had a shutoff valve that allowed air to leak in (but didn't leak fuel)--is enough to drive you whacko!

2. You have to keep filling your tanks and comparing the pump's figures with your totalizer. If it's off, you then have to 'bump' the calibration dip switches until you get it right.

If you filled 'er up for winter storage, then you'll be well off. I hope you didn't go the other way--run'em bone dry--or you may have to take out a second mortgage!

Jeff"

No the tanks are 3/4 full I

No the tanks are 3/4 full I am not worry about the totalizer but more for the gallons per hour ..Is there a calibration for that presume that there arent any air leaks in the system?

"Hi,
Does anyone have any exp

"Hi,
Does anyone have any experience with or know of a fuel flow meter (other than the floscan 5800 which is quite expensive) that will work with twin 350Xli's. These engines have TBI with a fuel return line back to the tank."

lowrance has a decent unit rea

lowrance has a decent unit reasonable but you must buy the second sensor for about $50.00 nice unit

"I talked to the guys at Flosc

"I talked to the guys at Floscan. Because I have a fuel return line (twin Crusader 454XLi) they said I need two, one for each engine. Mmmm."

"No, you need two sensors, one

"No, you need two sensors, one for the feed and the other for the return.

To get exact figures on total burned, you need two gages (one for each engine). To have an idea as to where you are most efficient and to track usage, you can get by with one gage (you still need two sensors)."

Rick is right. I also talked t

Rick is right. I also talked to Floscan and the model that covers TBI is the floscan 5800. I believe it comes with two sensors/gauge but as I mentioned before it is an expensive route just for this. ie about $460.00 per engine. I'm checking into the Lowrance unit as suggested by mrprops. Many thanks for the suggestion. Hopefully its a cheaper or more versatile alternative.

Lowrance finally got back to m

Lowrance finally got back to me and according to them there system will not work on a system with a fuel return line. So I guess I'm back to the floscan 5800 option.

Back