Logo

CHARGING SYSTEM 1965 JOHNSON 90 HP MODEL V4M11

jimg984

Contributing Member
need help on 1965 johnson mode

need help on 1965 johnson model v4m-11 charging system. how it works? i can see 2 yellow wires coming from under the flywheel i asume these are the AC voltage. also near them are a red and a green i can no clue about these are for
if can figure what does what.. i try to use a full wave rectifier to convert AC to DC am i on the right track?

Do you have the box with the v

Do you have the box with the voltage regulator and diodes??? It mounts inside the boat on the transom.

its mounted on the back of the

its mounted on the back of the engine the 2 yellow wires goes to another device that has a cover on it saying generator fuse inside this device is mounted on the side of engine ths for help

James.... I had already sent y

James.... I had already sent you the 1965 90hp wiring diagram. Is there a problem with it?

"Joe, yes i did get your wiri

"Joe, yes i did get your wiring diagram thanks

was looking for another to compare with
i need a better view of the flywheel and heat sink/alternator fuse box area
trying to refit a full wave rectifier on it,,, the way my mercury works which only has the 2 yellow wires from under the flywheel, 1 red wire to battery system and a ground wire,, these rectifier are only $2.95 from Radio Shack
thank you again for all help"

in my opinion you are going to

in my opinion you are going to '2.95 from radio shack' yourself into a problem you dont want..those rectifiers have to have a certain rating and have to have a proper heat sink to dissapate heat...you asking for a fire under the cowl or with the right failure(short) a blown stator..only in my humble opinion tho...good luck...

"aw heck carl gotta go forwar

"aw heck carl gotta go forward, adventure a lil bit

will kiss the wife and kids goodbye

gotta have the spirt

didnt find ur advice helpful"

Johnson50...can't find any

Johnson50...can't find any model number but number on "freeze plug" is J50belcta and {serial number?) 5863912. What does this tell me?

Motor starts and runs fine but does not charge the batteries. Can't find a "charging system" fuse (just bought the boat). Any help would be appreciated!

"J50BElCTA tells you that you

"J50BElCTA tells you that you have a 1983 50hp Johnson.

The engine has an alternator (ring under the flywheel). Usually any problem with the charging system is due to a shorted rectifier, as follows.

(Small Rectifier Description & Location)
(J. Reeves)

On most 3,4,6 cylinder engines, the small rectifier is located on the starboard (right) side of the engine just in front of the engines electrical wiring strip. There are a few older V4 engines that have the wiring strip on the rear portion of the engine and the rectifier would be located just under that terminal strip. The smaller horsepower engines usually have the rectifier located on the starboard side of the powerhead close to the carburetor area.

The rectifier appears to be a round object approximately one inch (1") in diameter and also about one inch (1") high. The base of it is sort of triangular in appearance and is attached to the engine with two (2) screws/bolts..... usually one screw/bolt is larger than the other. The rectifier, depending on which one your engine uses, will have either:

One Red wire, one Yellow wire, and one Yellow/Gray wire, or One Red wire, and two Yellow wires.

Note that either of the above rectifiers could have a fourth wire which would be Yellow/Blue

When time permits, visit my store at: http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store
(Small Rectifier Test)
(J. Reeves)

Remove the rectifier wires from the terminal block. Using a ohm meter, connect the black lead of the ohm meter to the rectifier base (ground), then one by one, connect the red lead of the ohm meter to the yellow, yellow/gray, then the red wire (some rectifiers may also have a fourth yellow/blue wire. If so connect to that also). Now, reverse the ohm meter leads and check those same wires again. You should get a reading in one direction, and none at all in the other direction.

Now, connect the black lead of the ohm meter to the red wire. One by one, connect the red lead of the ohm meter to the yellow, yellow/gray, and if present, the yellow/blue wire. Then reverse the leads, checking the wires again. Once more, you should get a reading in one direction and none in the other.

Note that the reading obtained from the red rectifier wire will be lower then what is obtained from the other wires.

Any deviation from the "Reading", "No Reading" as above indicates a faulty rectifier. Note that a rectifier will not tolerate reverse polarity. Simply touching the battery with the cables in the reverse order or hooking up a battery charger backwards will blow the diodes in the rectifier assy immediately.

When time permits, visit my store ) at: http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store
"

Back