Logo

DIFFICULT TO START THEN LOW REVS

I

Ivan Ellul

I am having problems starting

I am having problems starting my Volvo Penta 2002. On starting at the first attempt it nearly starts but quickly dies out. It then requires several attempts before finally starting. Even then it stays at low revs and only after a long while will the revs go up to normal levels. I have changed the fuel filters and the lift pump but the problem persists. Maybe there is air in the fuel system what do you think ?

Thanks & Regards

Ivan

Sounds like pumps may be stick

Sounds like pumps may be sticking. Try leaving throttle in full position overnight and attempt to start next day. See if that helps. If so governor spring is moving pump rack at a slow speed when throttle is moved. Pumps sticking can cause this.

Dick. I have a similar problem

Dick. I have a similar problem. Had assumed it was high load of alternator. How do you unstick the governor spring?

"Governor is nothing but flywe

"Governor is nothing but flyweights that move a sleeve to an arm that moves rack to pumps back and forth. When you advance throttle, the lever pulls a coil spring that pulls rack forward for more speed. Governor always tries to push to slow. They run a balance between the two. At rear of pumps on block is a large plug, remove and in slow position you should see a flat rack. When you advance throttle lever, that rack will move toward front quickly. If it moves very slowly then one of the pumps is probably holding it back. Pumnps would have to removed and checked by a shop."

"This is a common problems on

"This is a common problems on the small Volvos. Mainly caused by air build-up in the system or blocked/restricted return line.
Try first to disconnect the boat fuel system and run a short fuel line straight into a cannister as close as possible to the engine. Let the return line go into the same cannister. The last piece of return line should be a clear plastic line made a loop. This will indicate if air is in the return as it will show as a bubble on top of the loop.
Start engine and monitor the loop on the return. When all air is gone and engine runs on clean fuel, shut it down and leave it over night. Test next morning or later. If air gets into the loop again, there is an air leak somewhere in the engine fuel system."

"I have a Volvo AD41 B later m

"I have a Volvo AD41 B later model series and we have been having some trouble with the engine not having power while trying to go back onto the trailer after either a 4 hours water test or a full day of trolling. We have since changed the lift pump, checked and cleared the return line. Tried testing while running the fuel source directly from a separate canister and returning into the same (did not however check for the air in the loop). The boat would run fine all day while fishing and when we return home while throttling down to enter the marina there would be no response with the throttle. Only idle forward if anything. After letting the boat rest for a day then the engine would run fine. We also just changed both fuel tanks and changed all fuel lines including the vents. Any thoughts of what we can try next?"

Back