Logo

Help please1989 johnson 15 hp rcec 20

R

rustychicken

Here s my problem. Replaced wa

Here s my problem. Replaced water pump with full pemp kit. Also replaced prop shaft seals. Started engine and let it run for 20 minutes or so. Pumping water perfect but here s the problem. There was lots of oil in the water when i shut it off.Oil was dripping out from behind prop shaft. Took lower unit off and found the grey oily goop all around where the water exits the pump to go up into the motor. Would this possibly be the seals under the waterpump are shot? Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thank you in advance for any help......Gettin frustrated in ontario....this forum is great!!!!!!

So was the water cold??? This

So was the water cold??? This is very normal for a 2 stroke motor.You will find that sludge!!!Not a problem.It is from the oil that is mixed in the fuel.

"The water in the pail was col

"The water in the pail was cold....from the tap. The water exiting the pee hole was a little warm but not hot.I know these 2 strokes do drip oil but this seems excessive. The motor was bought used at an auction. Is it possible the gas oil that came in the tank is too rich>? I didn t put new gas in it yet.
It seems that this oily stuff is from lower unit oil, it doesn t have a strong gas smell to it.Also when i drained the gearcase the oil still had a clear colour to it(no water mixed in it).thx for any help.....rustychicken"

maybe the motor just needs a g

maybe the motor just needs a good run!!!!

When you give a motor a good r

When you give a motor a good run this stuff all disappears behind the boat!!

"There is an amazing amount of

"There is an amazing amount of oil pumped into the water from the exhaust of the older motors. When running these motors in a barrel, a major oil slick develops after only few minutes. Afterwards, when the motor is pulled from the barrel, it continues to drip black and gray oil for several hours. Later motors, even 2 strokes are greatly improved. Last year when winterizing my oil injected 125 mercury 2 stroke, the engine ran in a large barrel for over a half hour with hardly any residue. The four strokes are better yet. Now, if they could only make the new motors as reliable as the older motors, I would be happy to buy one."

"Thank you all for your respon

"Thank you all for your responses, i guess these older motors drip quite a bit. Ill put this motor back together and wait for the good weather to arrive then give it a try. It does run well so i ll see what happens. Once again thanks to all for your replies!!!!!!!"

Back