Logo

Hard start

seaswirl

I have just got a 1981 115. It

I have just got a 1981 115. It is hard to start cold. It runs very well once I get it going. Any soggestions will be greatly appreciated.

"Some of those old Mercs are n

"Some of those old Mercs are notorious for that. Try this. turn the key on, push it in and hold it in while counting to 10 slowly. Then start the motor. If this makes no difference then check your enrichner to be sure it is working properly."

Compression test? try then 2 s

Compression test? try then 2 spray some aerostart or similar product into each carb to fire it up. if it starts straight away refer to IBNFISHN's post above. there is nothing worse than dry cranking an engine for wear and tear to pistons bores and bottom end especially in a 2 stroke where the fuel is the lubricant for the internals. PS: Im in Australia but i'm sure they make Aerostart in the USA?

Install an OMC injection prime

Install an OMC injection primer system and your starting trouble will be GONE!!

"Brent, I would not recomend A

"Brent, I would not recomend Aerostart (Ether), it has no lubricant. Better to mix some 50-1 in a spray bottle."

"Spray in the bottle is good i

"Spray in the bottle is good idea, but i have found the gasoline itself is to strong for the pick up tubes and pump spray system. It almost instantly melts the thin plastic diaphram in the sprayer then it doesnt work anymore. Maybe i should stop buying cheap ass sprayers LOL"

listen to london marine and yo

listen to london marine and you will solve your problem. These older inlines you have to hold the choke in until your engine fires. Replaceing the choke flaps with a primer solves the problem since the gas is sprayed in behind the carbs directly into the reed cages.

The basic starting routine for

The basic starting routine for these is to trim it all the way under so the gas runs downhill if possible. Than you really have to stand on the choke and starter until it is fully running. You should be able to retrofit a primer system off of an '80's engine that was foactory installed. That tees into a bleeder hose on the powerhead.

Back