Logo

Which Prop for a 1997 Johnson 115HP OceanRunner

J

Joe B

" Hi Gang! The prop I current

" Hi Gang! The prop I currently have on the boat (19ft., Kencraft, 190 Challenger, Center Console) performs well (it is aluminum). Unfortunately its dinged up pretty bad and needs to be replaced or repaired. I am thinking about getting a Stainless Steel prop but I have a problem. The current prop has absolutely no markings anywhere. I checked every where and cannot find the size or pitch. What is the recommended size prop and pitch for a boat this size?

Thanks to all for the help.

Joe B... "

I should add that the engine

I should add that the engine is a 1997 Johnson 115Hp V4. Sorry for leaving out that important information.

Thanks for the help.

Joe....

" Joe,

If you often

" Joe,

If you often ding your prop up (as I do), keep this in mind. Although a stainless prop will not ding as easy and will add a couple miles an hour, it is far less forgiving - a hard hit on an aluminum prop wrecks the prop, a hard hit on a stainless prop can wreck your prop shaft/lower unit. "

"Joe_B.... There should be an

"Joe_B.... There should be an indication of exactly what that prop is, on the prop behind the splined washer that you see right in back of the prop nut. I'd suspect it's a 13 1/4 Diameter x 17" Pitch but of course it could be something else. There should also be a six (6) digit part number there. Get that number to us and we'll look up the prop size for you.

Joe"

" I'm with Jon! A little

" I'm with Jon! A little ding or a big gear problem. You get to choose. Love that aluminum! I've got a 20' SeaArk SunTastic aluminum deck boat with a '96 130 Johnson. I just replaced my OEM 19' prop with a Hustler 14X17. Best move I coulda made. I've got exactly the same top end, about 40 mph. A much better hole shot. Smoother idling in gear.

Good Luck,

Mike "

Thanks to all of you who resp

Thanks to all of you who responded! I removed the prop the other day and it is an OMC 15X17 Aluminum prop. It wasn't dinged too bad so I brought it to the shop to be repaired. I am still contemplating buying a stainless steel prop and use the repaired one for backup. The point about stainless being much less forgiving than aluminum is my only apprehension for going to stainless!

Back