Logo

Yamaha 50 TLRD acceleration issues

margaritaville

"I have a prize for anyone tha

"I have a prize for anyone that can figure this out.
Here is a quick run down.
bought the engine in 8/2005 Yamaha 50 HP 2 stroke Carb engine.
From day one, it was not right. During the break-in period, the engine would stall out when accelerated.

The dealership blamed the gas. They added a 10 micron filter cleaned the carbs aand sent me back on the water. The problem was not fixed.

Repeat this same process 6 more times before the dealer calls yamaha and they send a regional tech.

#2 cylinder is bad. A rebuild and 3 brand new carbs later the engine has 30 hours on it.

Now if I go to accelerate the engine slowly, it will bog down and stall. Took the engine back to yamaha and they claim this is normal because the engine is tilted all the way down and it is not perfectly level, causing the 2-stroke oil to pool on top of the piston and create this problem.

The engine has good compression but after 2 hours of running, the engine only got up to 105* at the block.

With the engine tilted as level as possible, the problems is still there, just not as bad.

Anyone have any idea???"

It sounds like the low speed c

It sounds like the low speed carburetor adjustments ( too lean at the moment )and find another dealer while you can.Those feeble excuses just don't cut it.

"Jason, My 96 Pro50 had a sim

"Jason, My 96 Pro50 had a similar problem and found: puncture in fuel pump diaphragm, bad fuel tank prime bulb and fuel tank connector."

"london,
This was Ron Zastock

"london,
This was Ron Zastocki, the yamaha field rep for my area. That was not the dealership.

According to yamaha a sync and link was done and it is perfect. I am stuck between a rock and a hard place. There is an obvious problem and the engine is under warranty, but yamaha claims there is no problem so they won't do any warranty work."

"Put the motor on another boat

"Put the motor on another boat with a portable fuel can (someone elses) and that will put this issue to rest. Unless of course, yuu just have the wrong prop on it."

"That would be tough to do sin

"That would be tough to do since it is setup with remote controls.

The boat was tested with the it's current prop and during the second breakin period, this issue did not occur.

WOT RPM is 5K"

"If anyone wants to see the en

"If anyone wants to see the engine stall out, I have a small video. This engine was run for 1 hour, the temp of the head was 105*

http://www.cossaboon.us/barn/50hp%20Yam/yamaha_problem.avi

The file is in DIVX format. it should play for most people, but if it does not you can download a free player at
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html

VLC player is a free program and is spyware free.

Maybe hearing the engine might get one of you guys on the right track"

"105 sounds cold

got gas in

"105 sounds cold

got gas in oil,bad t-stat or fuel pump
do a comp check again

run a fuel pressure and a vacuum gauge
if the rep can not figure it out, he needs a new job

where r u located?"

"justintime,
I am located in

"justintime,
I am located in Southern NJ.

105 does seem cold.

The oil is direct injection, not pre-mixed. It appears to be burning the proper amount of oil.

When it comes to motors, I am not a guru. THis is why a bought a warranty that yamaha is not backing."

Saw & heard the video and

Saw & heard the video and it acted and sounded like mine. Try leaving the cap off the fuel tank and ensure the fuel pump diaphram is not punctured. Pull the plugs and see if they are wet when it dies.

"Joe,
I can try that, but the

"Joe,
I can try that, but the plugs were perfect when inspected before and after stalling.

Also, when it would bog down and stall, I had another person pumping the ball and it did not go soft at any point

It is an easy try though"

i would run a fuel pressure te

i would run a fuel pressure test
the yami rep should have done it
i would call yami directly and complain that the rep did not follow steps

"Yes, there were times we woul

"Yes, there were times we would have a soft and hard ball. We found the fuel hose connector at the Yami tank was NOT universal but HAD to have a boss on the flat side that contacted the prutruding pin on the tank that vented it. It drove us crazy as we had installed new everything and then found the bad fuel pump and connector that was not good on the Yami! That is about all the "expertice" I have so will wait to see what actualy fixes it. BTW. Mention a lawsuit if Yami doesn't fix it for you. They usually have GREAT people as are at my Five Star Yami dealer here. Good luck!"

"5 star is a joke, i have it a

"5 star is a joke, i have it and a cave man can do it

you need to find a shop with certificates on the wall not just 5 star shop"

"Thanks guys.
This is a 5 sta

"Thanks guys.
This is a 5 star shop, and the tech working on it is a DSR for yamaha.

My lawyer sent out letters last year before the engine was rebuilt and it made little difference.
The letters were accepted, but there was no response."

"My "5 Star" mech says

"My "5 Star" mech says to back-flush rather than forward-flush the fuel lines. Also, try feeding the tank without the bulb. He suspects there is floating crap in the fuel line."

"Fuel lines were cleaned by ya

"Fuel lines were cleaned by yamaha this last time.
all fuel filters, on the engine and outside (10 micron) where replaced.

How do you feed the tank without the bulb?

I do appreciate the ideas. 2.5 years with ongoing issues with this engine, you would think Yamaha would be more perceptive to my problems, but I get the cold shoulder."

"Remove the bulb, reconnect li

"Remove the bulb, reconnect line straight to tank, hold tank above engine level, drain fuel at engine using gravity now so as to remove air and prime the line. Run engine with tank above engine level using gravity/siphon power. Also works good when you lose a fuel pump on your vehicle."

"i would be looking at the cdi

"i would be looking at the cdi unit, as they are a mix between mechanical and electronic advance, source another one and try, leave no stone unturned."

"The Problem was with the o-ri

"The Problem was with the o-ring on the #1 carb. Carb was removed and the O-ring was broken.

replaced the ring and all is great. Since yamaha told me to not run the motor tilted down, I had no other choice but to pay someoe out of my own pocket to have the problem found. So much for the warranty."

Do every Yammi owner a favor a

Do every Yammi owner a favor and take Yamaha to small claims court or incompetent "5 star certified" mechanics will contiue to hide behind these phony awards.

"Joe,
I wish I had the time.

"Joe,
I wish I had the time. I actually did everything but file the claim in court. I had retained a lawyer, sent out certified letters of the problem and then they finally fixed the issue last year with the scored cylinder.

They spent WAY more than the value of the engine in parts and tech time trying to troubleshoot the issue.

BTW, the guy that told me that the engine can not run tilted all the way down was not a marina mechanic, but a Yamaha DSR."

"Jason, Perhaps just printing

"Jason, Perhaps just printing this saga out with the reference and mailing it to Mr. & Mrs. Yamaha would be good enough. Mark the envelope as personal to CEO/President. A lot of times underlings hide from management such problems. Anyways, thanks for the feedback!"

it was the techs fault for reb

it was the techs fault for rebuilding the carbs!

not yami's fault

i do not know one tech that has never had to take the carb off twice!

"joe,is the o ring from main n

"joe,is the o ring from main nozzle in buttom of the fuel bowl?i got the same problem,thanks if u can tell me which o ring,i belive it is only jet have o ring,thanks joe."

"re u talk about the gasket?i

"re u talk about the gasket?i can't remenber there is any ring between carb and block,thanks."

Back