Logo

AQ 170 found oring in oil pan

dock_holiday

Contributing Member
"I drained the oil yesterday a

"I drained the oil yesterday and found a broken rubber o-ring in the oil that came out...or actually about 4/5 of the ring. The drain plug has a copper gasket/washer on it. Is there supposed to be an O-ring too? . The o-ring is about 3/4 inch in diam.. Now I am wondering where it came from. Any ideas where it came from and how it got into my previously clean oil drain pan? I know it came out of or off this motor because the pan I drained the oil into was clean when I started. I just replaced the head, spark plugs, thermostat gasket, head gasket, manifold gasket, oil filter, but I have done nothing in the bottom end. I am waiting to put oil back in it until I find out more about the ring.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks! Matt"

"whwen you replaced the head t

"whwen you replaced the head there are two o rings on the water pump one is about 1and 1 half inch the other is about 3 /4 of an inch could you have droped it in the motor when replacing the head gasket,and it would have come through the moter at the oil hole between the lifters,and right into the oil pan thats about the only ones i can think of for now,good luck"

"they are part # 430018 &

"they are part # 430018 & 430172,they go from top of water pump to the bottem of head,hope this helps"

"John, No I didn't change

"John, No I didn't change those rings. I saw them there staring up at me though as I cleaned up the deck of the block. I know for sure that the head had been pulled from this engine at least one time previous to my owning it and suppose that the ring could have fallen in and down as you describe years ago and never come out until now. I believe that the previous owner had the oil changed regularly at a shop and I bet they used a hose and pump through the dip stick hole to drain it because that would certainly be easier than what I did! Man that plug was TIGHT!! Thanks for the post and the clue. If I get leaks between water pump and head I will pull the water pump and replace the 2 rings. The only other place I can think of that would have a o-ring like this would be maybe the distributor drive shaft and possibly somewhere on the oil pump...anybody think there are any rings like this anywhere there?

Thanks

Matt"

Back