Logo

Force 120 hard to start

• Thread starter Stephen James Thompson
  • Start date
S

Stephen James Thompson

"I have a 1996 Force 120hp whi

"I have a 1996 Force 120hp which runs great once it is going. It just proves hard to start from cold. It fires first time once it has been running for 30 seconds.
I choke it for about 25 seconds and apply some throttle. It turns over easily, but rarely seems to catch. I used CRC Engine start to get it going last week and it fired up straight away.
Are there any secrets about starting a Force I don't know? Or is there anything else I should look at doing to make it start more easily from cold?
Any help is most appreciated."

"Stephen, there is a chance th

"Stephen, there is a chance that your electric choke (or enrichment systems) has stopped functioning.

Take off the hood and with the aid of a helper operate the choke at the key and listen and observe to see if it is in fact working.

It may be something as simple as a bad ground.

Keep the starting fluid away from the motor - it contains no oil and it's a good way to have your motor cough out a piston..."

Hi. I checked the choke and it

Hi. I checked the choke and it clicks once when the key is depressed. Other than that I couldn't detct anything else happening.

Are you pushing the key (

Are you pushing the key ( holding it in) while cranking???

"The way I was shown was to de

"The way I was shown was to depress the key and hold for 15 to 20 seconds, then release and then crank the engine.If I was supposed to depress the key while cranking I have been doing it wrong for a few years."

"Pump the bulb? Press the chok

"Pump the bulb? Press the choke and crank away. You see the hose from the bottom of the top carb? That goes to the valve, and than into the carb's behind the throttle's. Look for clogs in that tube system or a broken valve that does not pass fuel when it should."

"Hi. I posted a problem with s

"Hi. I posted a problem with starting the motor earlier. I checked all the electrical connections as suggested. I scraped any residue on any connections. I had the same problem. I took it to a pro mechanic and he said, due to the years of use(since86), the neutral position has worn or shifted. I have to find the exact location every time I want to start. The engine starts and runs fine once I find the exact spot. Is there any way to adjust or do I pretty much have to buy another shifter?"

Back