Logo

1982 90hp Mercury Outboard

hambone004

I went out today on my boat th

I went out today on my boat that I just purchased from my father in law who had it for 14 years and has not had ANY problems EVER. The boat started and ran fine. When I started the boat and was leaving the fishing hole I noticed the boat was not running right. It was running sluggish. When I got to the dock the motor died on me I tried to start the motor but it would not start. It was like the motor was flooded. Then I could smell fuel. The motor would start then die. I opened the motor and saw that the middle carb. was spraying fuel out from above where the float valve is. It is like the float is sticking. The fuel seems to be coming out of a over flow port if such a port. Any hints on what could be the problem? Thank you.

Looks like it is the float. Un

Looks like it is the float. Unless it comes out of the carb throat. Than I suspect the fuel pump if is hooked up to the middle cylinders.

"David, the top brass vent on

"David, the top brass vent on the carbs is called the "Backdrag vent". Fuel will not come out of this vent, unless the float or inlet needle is sticking open. They usually will free themselves up, if you gently tap the bowl with a screwdriver handle. If that doesn't work, it is time to install a new needle valve and seat, and maybe a new float."

Back