Logo

Trolling motor

samaros

I have 2 betteries in my boat

I have 2 betteries in my boat 1 for the motor and 1 for the trolling motor The trolling motor battery is not connected to the engines charging system What would I have to do to get it were it will charge like the other battery

"To have the outboard engine a

"To have the outboard engine also charge the trolling motor battery, it is simply a matter of running cables from one battery to the other.

That is from one battery's positive terminal post to the other battery's terminal positive post, and also from the negative post to the other negative post HOWEVER.......

You do not want the trolling motor to be drawing voltage from the outboard engine battery when you're operating the trolling motor SO YOU WOULD WANT a disconnect switch between one battery and the other at some point in the positive cable circuit.

When running the outboard engine, have the switch engaged.

When NOT running the outboard engine and you're running the trolling motor, have the switch disengaged.

There may be an electronic relay setup that I'm not aware of which can be used in place of a switch. If so, hopefully someone with that knowledge will jump in here to explain."

"Rather that connect the batte

"Rather that connect the batterys, I would use a battery Isolator. This will allow charging of both the batteries without mixing thier power. There are a bunch of different types. Guest makes an inexpesive one that works fine.

The best part is you don't have to switch back and forth between batteries, and if one battery dies, it wont' take the other with it.The isolator allows one battery to be discharged separately from the other and still allows both to charge from a single source.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?MfcISAPICommand=
GetResult&ht=1&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&query=battery%20isolator&ssPageName=ADME:B:TB2:US:2&from=R18"

Back