Logo

How did my propeller get this way

briang0

Regular Contributor
I pulled the prop of my Chris

I pulled the prop of my Chris Craft 25' Cruiser. It looked good except one of the 3 blades was rough on the entire edge. It looks like it was zapped with electricity. The other 2 blades look perfect. Does anyone have an idea what happened. I think if I hit something the other blades would be ruffed up too.

Not necessarily. I chipped a

Not necessarily. I chipped a fingertip hunk out of one blade of a 4 blade prop without a nick on the other 3 blades. It happens.

Jeff

PS: Cost $120 to fix it! Bandits.

"Has it ever been repaired? I

"Has it ever been repaired? It is possible that a repair was made using a slightly different alloy and electrolysis has occurred. It is also possible that it rubbed the bottom, while docked, during a low tide and that's why the other two blades were not effected. Pics would be helpful."

"Here are some pic's of th

"Here are some pic's of the damage.
147627.jpg
147628.jpg
147629.jpg
147630.jpg
"

I don't have a shaft zinc

I don't have a shaft zinc on it only a zinc on the rudder. I didn't add one because it didn't have one when I bought the boat. The prop was reconditioned in April of last year.

How do I know where to place t

How do I know where to place the shaft zinc. Where does it go on the shaft? Do I have to worry about vibration from it?

How does the bottom pain look?

How does the bottom pain look? An under zinced boat tends to have wear on the bottom paint around metal fixtures. Esp on a very high copper content paint.

Agree on shaft placement. about a foot from the cutlass bearing. you dont want to block the flow of water getting to the bearing.

"When my props were Propscanne

"When my props were Propscanned, I was told to place the zinc as close to the shaft pocket and out of the flow as much as possible. Is this good advice? I have them about 2 Inches from the stuffing box just inside this pocket."

Back