Logo

15HP Gear Shift Problem

R

RichardRalphs

Got My 15 HP OB back from loca

Got My 15 HP OB back from local service guy to find engine won't shift into forward reliably. Engine usually revs up and then may drop into forward gear. There is no problem going into reverse. Have removed cowling and can encourage a complete shift with a nudge on the rotating gear wheel. Is this an adjustment problem or a "wear" problem? and how do I resolve?

"Richard, if they did any work

"Richard, if they did any work on the lower unit they would have disconnected the shift shaft. It's possible that they put the cam on wrong upon reassembly. The cam is under the powerhead (in a tight spot near the lower cowl) and putting it one notch off will give the results you note.

Otherwise, your shift/throttle cable may have got stretched or even the shift linkage may need adjusting.

In any event, if the "service guy" isn't too far away from you, I would take it back to them and have them correct the issue..."

The shift shaft has a keeper t

The shift shaft has a keeper that comes out on the 15. It is a push/pull gearcase. The spool with the double cable can be a PITA. There should not be any slack in the cables. The link rod that leads from there to the piviot point is a measured dimension.

"Thanks Graham, that will help

"Thanks Graham, that will help me if I get no satisfaction on this last service visit."

Back