Logo

Penta 2002 fresh water leak

abbarr

"Hello All,

New to the boar

"Hello All,

New to the board here and hope to be a contributor at some point. I've just purchased a boat with the 2002 penta in it. There's a coolant leak at the thermostat housing where the copper pipe is fitted on its way to the heat exchanger. I replaced the sealing ring (part # 418411), but can't seem to get a good seat. My question is, is some sort of sealant or lubricant recommended to get this pipe to seat properly or do i just need to keep working it to get it to seat without?

Thanks in advance.

Alan
147599.jpg
"

Is the pipe corroded where sea

Is the pipe corroded where seal seats? Is it pipe or base of housing leaking? If new seal is used and lubed with soap when installed no sealant needs to be used. From your pic it should seal as pipe is all the way inside housing socket. Check pipe carefully for cracks at spread part and seal area.

"Thanks, Dick. The pipe was n

"Thanks, Dick. The pipe was new when I got the boat as the previous owner had replaced it thinking the old one was bent out of shape. I took things apart initially because the leak was at the heat exchanger end of this pipe. After reseating that end I managed to shift the leak to the thermostat end. All this strongly suggests a seating issue hence my question on sealant. Per your suggestion, i'll try a little soap to see if i can get better contact.

Cheers,

Alan"

"New info. If your heat exchan

"New info. If your heat exchanger has a strap bracket the is brazed to case, check to see that it has not split and started to come loose. When this happens the exchanger moves out from block and changes indexing of pipe. Pipe is made for a fixed position between components."

"This picture shows the mounti

"This picture shows the mounting plate. The aft hole in the plate is slotted so you can have the aft bolt loosely in place while seating copper pipe. The forward bolt clearly indexes the pipe. I'll be reseating tomorrow.

147742.jpg
heat exchanger mount

"Dick,

I just wanted to say

"Dick,

I just wanted to say thanks and let you know that the soap trick worked like a charm. Of course, all this messing around has caused one of the older seals to start leaking so i'll have to go in again to replace that one as well.

Thanks again for the help.

Alan"

Back