Logo

Sterling jet propulsion trolling motor P500 prototype

S

Scott Waddell

"I found a trolling motor that

"I found a trolling motor that was built by "Sterling Jet Propulsion Research, Inc of Minneapolis, MN". It has a number P500 on it. The owner passed away, but his wife said it was the only one made and given to her husband to test. He didn't like something about it and another was never made. Any one have any info on this? Thanks"

"Scott, you may have a "pr

"Scott, you may have a "prototype" but the P500 was built in the 1950's and a good few went into existance. I have found little information on these, but there is at least two more guys who have visited this site that have that model..."

Thanks for your reply. The wif

Thanks for your reply. The wife said she thought it was the only one made. Do you know if the others were made by "Sterling Jet Propulsion Research Inc"? Any idea how to get in touch with the others who own one of these? She is planning on putting it up for auction with the rest of her estate in a couple of months.

"Scott, another fellow (No

"Scott, another fellow (Norman) posted here with a P500 [email protected] - don't know if he dug up any more info on the model.

I did find a reference to it on the net - but can't find it (of course) - was in a parts list from an aftermarket place, listing some parts that either were still available or could be retrofit."

Thank you. I really appreciate

Thank you. I really appreciate the guidance. I'll look in that direction and keep an eye on here. I'll postif I find any thing relevant.

"I wonder if this is any relat

"I wonder if this is any relation to a Sports Jet 450 that was given to me by a friend to get running for him.
The tag info is:
Sport Jet Industries, Inc.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Model #450
I posted some pics for reference
217798.jpg
speedjet-1"">
217799.jpg
speedjet-2"">
217800.jpg
sprotjet-3"">
217801.jpg
sportjet-4

I know the original post was from 2008, but here's what I know.

I have a similar outboard if not the same one, I don't have it in front of me for the model number. Mine is painted olive green. The motor was made by Clinton in Iowa. I never had a fuel connector for it but I get by with a piece of hose fit over the barb.

I use it with the old Sears boat that I got it with, my kids have a blast when I run them around it in.

the green engine is tecumseh based and the baige outboard I bet is a clinton, perty darn cool if you ask me....but then no one ask me did they...

I dug this up from my notes, not sure where I found it anymore, might have been another forum. I think this was text conversion, spelling mistakes are left in place.

Starling Jet - The Old Outboard Book

http://books.google.com/books?id=ei...X&oi=book_result&resnum=3&ct=result#PPA149,M1

Starling Jet

"From Propulsion Research, Inc. in Minneapolis, heart og outboard country, came Americas's first production lin jet propelled outboard." So stated the 1965 introductory brochure for the Midel P-500 Starling Jet "complete fishing motor."

Actually, other US companies (such as Lancaster Pump) had similar producst pre****** the Starling Jet, but this firms Marine Jet Division was probably aiming at wider distribution. The 5-hp, air-cooled, single-cylinder powerhead was built by Clinton Engined Corporation of Maquoketa, Iowa, and looked identical to Clinton's own outboard power plant. The jet lower unit was ao Propulsion Researches's design and drew water through a grill into a small turbine. This internal turbine created "super hydro thrust" and pushed a jet stream through slots where a propeller would be on a regular outboard. the 29-pound, 2 cycle rig was marketed to fishermen wanting to maneuver in weedy, shallow waters. Safety-minded swimmers and skin divers were also targetted in ads stressing "prop-less" action.

At 6,800 rpm (a lot of revs for the lawn-mower-style powerhead), the Starling Jet gave 82 pounds of push. The company, however, suggested an operating range of 3,900 to 5,000 rpm.

This novel little motor came with a 3-gallon remote fuel tank and was available in "Jet White" for fishermen or "Olive Drab" for duck hunters. Neither group really responded to the thrust of Propulsion Research's message, and the Starling Jet was grounded a few years later.

I have seen copies of Clinton service manuals show up on eBay occasionally. The one I have gives the motor model as J9-1103 with a note that these were sold to Propulsion Research Inc and that Clinton supplied the Powerhead and handle assemblies only.

I'll be out at the lake where mine is stored next weekend and will get some pictures of it.

Looks like it didn't like Google's blog site.

Here's a shortened URL http://tinyurl.com/66g5x9v

Here's the text, pictures are all in the gallery too.

Starling Jet P-500 Outboard

Years ago someone gave me an old Sears sailboat and a unique jet drive outboard motor. My parent's have a cabin at a lake that I've kept it at and I get it out occasionally and run my kids around in it without worries about a propeller hurting anyone (although I bet I worry the neighbors that haven't seen it up close).

I've collected some information about it over the years on my own and from various forum postings made by others when these things surface from time to time from the depths of someone's garage/shed/basement.

Here is an excerpt from The Old Outboard Book that gives some information on the motor.
Starling Jet - The Old Outboard Book

http://books.google.com/books?id=eiiDaiBQn5EC

Starling Jet

"From Propulsion Research, Inc. in Minneapolis, heart of outboard country, came Americas' first production line jet propelled outboard." So stated the 1965 introductory brochure for the Model P-500 Starling Jet "complete fishing motor."

Actually, other US companies (such as Lancaster Pump) had similar products predates the Starling Jet, but this firms Marine Jet Division was probably aiming at wider distribution. The 5-hp, air-cooled, single-cylinder powerhead was built by Clinton Engines Corporation of Maquoketa, Iowa, and looked identical to Clinton's own outboard power plant. The jet lower unit was all Propulsion Research's design and drew water through a grill into a small turbine. This internal turbine created "super hydro thrust" and pushed a jet stream through slots where a propeller would be on a regular outboard. the 29-pound, 2 cycle rig was marketed to fishermen wanting to maneuver in weedy, shallow waters. Safety-minded swimmers and skin divers were also targeted in ads stressing "prop-less" action.

At 6,800 rpm (a lot of revs for the lawn-mower-style powerhead), the Starling Jet gave 82 pounds of push. The company, however, suggested an operating range of 3,900 to 5,000 rpm.

This novel little motor came with a 3-gallon remote fuel tank and was available in "Jet White" for fishermen or "Olive Drab" for duck hunters. Neither group really responded to the thrust of Propulsion Research's message, and the Starling Jet was grounded a few years later.​
Clinton Engines is no longer in business, however there is a website with some history about the company. http://www.clintonengines.com/

I found a copy of a Clinton service manual on eBay and found some more information on the engine itself. It is a model J9-1103. This particular model code has a note in the document that these were sold to Propulsion Research Inc and Clinton supplied the Powerhead and handle assemblies only.

While the engine is air cooled, the exhaust is not. There is a water pump, according to the manual:
Although the outboard has an air cooled engine, a water pump is provided to cool the column and condense exhaust gases. When the pump is working properly a fine spray of water will come out of the small holes on rear of the column just below the reverse lug. If the water inlet holes are plugged or the pump should fail, stop at once and correct the source of trouble. Do not run the outboard out of water for more than one minute as this may damage the water pump.​
Magneto & Ignition System from the manual:
Inspect spark plug every fifty hours of operation. If the engine fails to start or hard to start, check gasoline supply, carburetion and spark plug. To test magneto for spark, remove high tenstion wire from spark plug and hold about 1/8" from any metal part of motor and pull starter cord. If a spark bridges the gap the magneto is in good operating condition. If no spark, have the condenser and soil checked at an authorized Clinton Service Center. The setting for breaker points is .020 and spark plug gap is .025. The correct spark plug is a Champion J12J. (CJ8 in another manual)​
Starting, stopping, flooding and carb adjustment from the manual:

Starting Procedure:
With controls of the motor located on the front panel, slide choke lever to the left, full limit.
Slide throttle lever to start position.
Pull started handle slowly until you feel starter engage, then pull rapid motion and allow the starter cord to retract slowly.
When engine starts, slide choke to right to about center position and leave at this position until engine warms up sufficiently, then slide choke all the way to the right.

Stopping Procedure:
To stop engine, raise throttle lever upward. This shorts out engine regardless of position of throttle. It is best to slow engine before stopping.

Flooding:
Flooding is usually caused by over-choking the engine. To remedy this condition turn carburetor high speed adjusting needle counter-clockwise to lean out fuel mixture. Crank engine several times to remove excess raw fuel from engine. When the engine starts, readjust the high speed adjusting needle to its original setting or in accordance with instructions on carburetor adjustment.

Carburetor Adjustment:
The high speed and idle adjustment settings are pre-set at the factory. It should not be necessary to remove knobs for adjusting until engine is well broken in. When a greater adjustment is necessary (more than one turn of the knob) the following steps should be followed:

1. Remove high speed and idle speed adjustment knobs by loosening set screw, then slip knob from shaft. Use a 5/64 Allen wrench to remove knobs.
  2. The shafts have a slotted end to insert screw driver. By turning the shaft screws clockwise the mixture is richer, counter-clockwise leans the mixture.
  3. Engine should start with idle needle and high speed needles 3/4 turn open.
  4. With engine at operating temperature, slide throttle to full speed position. If the engine back-fires the mixture is too lean. If the engine smokes excessively the mixture is too rich. Turn high speed shaft clockwise or counter-clockwise until engine runs smoothly. Replace high speed knob on shaft with pointer at #4 position and tighten set screw. To set idle setting move throttle lever to full left (idle position). Turn idle shaft clockwise or counter-clockwise until engine idles smoothly. Replace idle knob upon completion of these settings, accelerate engine several times, the engine should respond rapidly.
Specifications:
Bore and Stroke - 2 1/8 x 1 5/8
Displacement (Cu. In.) - 5.76
Ignition - High Tension Magneto
Magneto point setting - .020
Spark Plug - J12J Champion (CJ8 Champion in another manual)
Spark Plug setting - .025
Carburetor - Float (Tillotson)
Crankshaft - Forged
Bearings (Engine) - Needle and Ball
Bearings (Gear housing) - Oilite Bronze
Starter - Recoil
Fuel System - Fuel Pump
Steering - 180* Pivot-Reverse
Fuel Mixture - 1/4 Pint Motor Oil to one Gallon of Regular Gasoline
Idle Speed - 800 RPM
Recommended Full Throttle Operation Range - 4000 - 5000 RPM
Peak Horsepower - At 6800 RPM Sea Level, Barometer at 60*F.
Aside from the name Propulsion Research and the "82 pounds of push" from the book above, I don't have any information on the jet drive lower unit. Here are some additional pictures for anyone that hasn't had a chance to see one up close.

the 29-pound, 2 cycle rig

Very intersting read and very cool but I have a hard time believing she only weights in at 29lb, the smallest Eska i know of is something like 44lb with out fuel, a TOB 300 tanaka is 24lb...

I would like to see one in action...any chance you wil get her up and going?

hi, i have one of these motors my grand father bought it new. i am out of work now and would consider letting it go.mine is neither of the colors above its gold and white,my grandfather told me when he brought it back from herters in minn. (he bought it there ) they said the gold one was 1 of 100 the navy had ordered then decided they did'nt want them. could have been a story the salemen used.works great last time used. [email protected] if interested

Back