Logo

Twin 270bs 1983

alfred

here is a general question. I

here is a general question. I have twin FWC 270's with 1100 hours on them Last year I was asked several times to take my boat out to the caynons which is about a 70 mile trip one way. All my friends have diesles or new outboards. Should I feel confident about making that kind of trip with these engines?

"Why not. If they are in good

"Why not. If they are in good shape and well maintained you should not have a problem. If you are referring to the Baltimore Canyon, there are plenty of other boats out there in case you get into trouble and besides that, this is the reason for twins."

"It's all in the mind--ser

"It's all in the mind--seriously. If you total up the miles you put on your boat running about locally, I'll bet it's way more than that. The 70 miles in open water in one trip is what's looking so formidable to you, but to your boat it's no difference.

Jeff"

"Funny thing is ...You are rig

"Funny thing is ...You are right Jeff. It is the tricks your mind plays on you that makes those thoughts so ominous. AS excellent a description as you gave, I wish there was as practical explanation to ease those thoughts.

We travel about 27nm to Barnegat inlet an 27nm back. SO, 15 times at least in the summer, (do a little cipherin' )thats over 800nm BACK and FORTH totally unremarkable. YET, we have yet to try the canyons...Of course, I need to wait for the off shore filling station to be built !
"

"Thanks for the positive feedb

"Thanks for the positive feedback guys, except for the former hockey player, which I have no idea what he said."

"TAKE THE TRIP!!!!
I have 198

"TAKE THE TRIP!!!!
I have 1984 twin 270hp Crusaders with 1600 on each and they run well. My question is what have you done to make you feel good about doing a trip like this?

If your worried about fuel then don’t go, but if your worried about your engines then you should sell your boat and find one that has less hours on it so that you can feel good about doing a long trip.

Sorry for sounding like and ass but its a sore spot for me. There are so many people that buy boats but don’t take them out and use them the way they need to be used. Put some tools on the boat with extra oil and belts and go have fun.
If something happens well it happens, it’s a boat.
Good luck"

My Gibson houseboat which is e

My Gibson houseboat which is equiped with two 454 CID Crusaders has 1160 hours on each engine. I made two trips. One was 500 miles and the other was 1500 miles. I never worried about the trip. Going down the Mississippi River from Memphis to New Orleans is like being on the ocean. There are no fuel stops and no maintenance. You can arrange to have a gasoline truck to meet you on the bank. It is not easy but it can be done. We just put some 55 gallon drums of gasoline on the deck and shoved off.

I make two trips from Memphis to Chicago each months. It is 560 miles and takes 9 hours. Your 70 mile trip at 10 miles per hour must be about 7 hours. I never give a second thought about taking off to Chicago.

My belief is that if you don't leave the dock you won't ever go. So I say push off and go. If you have trouble just fix it.

Chuck

"I have the same engines and w

"I have the same engines and wouldn't worry about making the run. I have made longer runs, but always within reach of a port. My problem is fuel. I carry 200 gals and loaded get 1nM/gal. I am not comfortable making the run w/o enough fuel reserve. If the weather blows up, it can take a long time and a lot of fuel to get back."

"I think that is my problem...

"I think that is my problem...weather. I can handle 6 foot seas... 8 foot, barely. I hear about 10-15 routinely out there and how quickly it can change if you are not keeping a close eye on it. I would get too carried away fishing and suddenly look up to see the approaching tsunami, Jaws, or Poseidan adventure!"

Thank you all for the feedback

Thank you all for the feedback. Real happy to hear confidence in these engines. I carry 220 gallons of fuel and it's a 29 Phoenix. Real good in rough weather. Need 4 people though to pitch in for gas this year. Looking forward to making the trip

"I'm a new post on this si

"I'm a new post on this site but have been checking it regularly for some time. This site is a great source of invaluable technical information about Crusader engines therefore I'm compelled to jump in for helpful advice and hope to be able to share experiences of mine as well. So, I have twin 270's in an '86 Mainship 36 Double cabin. I am faced with pulling 1 tranny to replace the damper plate. I'm not planning to haul her. Any advice would be appreciated.
Chuck"

"Chuck,
My first advice wo

"Chuck,
My first advice would be to post a new thread for all to see and help you the best,this will also help keep things in order.Yes this is a great site and am sure all here welcome your input....Todd"

"I am sitting with 750 hr. 454

"I am sitting with 750 hr. 454's and would be more than happy to have them see 1600-1800 hrs....All one can do is good maintenance,look for early detection signs of the parts, and enjoy the sport.Which puts me in the same category as the rest of you-if you can afford the trip,get going and have fun.There are a few things that help in case a problem does come up, such as boating where other boats are moving about,know your course and where fuel-parts stops are located,and a current Boat U.S. membership for towing never hurts......Todd"

"okay Chuck, as long as your p

"okay Chuck, as long as your propshaft will back enough to allow you to pull gear back and disengage splines. you can do this. you will need to support the rear of engine, since you will be removing the rear mounts at the same time. remove the gear first. then take off the flywheel housing to access the dampener. and sarting a new post is a good idea."

Back