Logo

1990 90hp force outboard

bobbyrod

i have this 1990 90 hp force e

i have this 1990 90 hp force engine model #906x90c serial #020551 when i start my motor i never hear the alarm sound for the over heating is it suppose to sound everytime i start my out board or not how can i test it to see if it is working i would hate to blow my motor up i am new to this boat thing also is there a way to put a temp guage on this motor i rather have a guage to see what i am at temp thanks

"Bobby, first off I would chec

"Bobby, first off I would check if you in fact have the buzzer. It was a "non standard" assessory item that would have been purchased as an "add on" to the motor from the dealer.

Secondly, if you have it, test it to see if it is working. It's just a 12 volt buzzer - a little power to it (disconnected from it's normal circuit) would answer that question.

If the buzzer works, you can test the "thermoswitch" when it heats up it closes a circuit. These can be tested with an ohm meter a thermometer and a pot of water (which you slowly bring up in temp). You can check and see at what point it would "alarm". Your thermostat is rated for 130 degrees, you should alarm at some point above that (don't have the exact spec but would suspect somewhere in the 150-170 range).

Alternately, there are numerous aftermarket temp senders (a marine dealer could help you choose) that can be rigged up to a temp gauge."

Back