Logo

15 hp force

bushanic

I am replacing the motor and t

I am replacing the motor and try to turn the shaft in the lower unit and found it to be quit hard a lot of resistance is this normal?
model 225.581505
ser 16548

"Rick, you are trying to turn

"Rick, you are trying to turn the driveshaft by hand (with the lower unit off the motor)? or you are trying to turn the prop shaft with the lower unit connected to the motor?

There is a couple of different shafts with regards to the lower unit, you will have to give a better description of what you are doing...

And just fyi your motor is either a 1992 or 1993 model, built for Sears and sold as a Gamefisher. The exact year can be determined by the Merc serial number which is most likely on a welsh plug on the water jacket of the motor."

"Graham,what I got is a outboa

"Graham,what I got is a outboard motor no a stand and pulled the power head/motor off the rest stayed. I was just looking inside to see what i could see which isn't much and saw the shaft that would connect to the motors crankshaft and try to turn it by hand or should I say fingerer's. I am trying to turn everything the motor would have had to turn."

"Ok, so you were trying to tur

"Ok, so you were trying to turn the drive shaft by hand. You should get a bit of resistance but if you can get a good grip on it, you should be able to turn it and see the prop turn.

Have you replaced the gear oil in the lower end?

Alternately, with the motor in gear and the powerhead still off - try turning the prop by hand - one way with "ratchet" the other way should cause the drive shaft to turn. It should be a little easier that way then trying to grip the quite slender drive shaft.."

Back