Logo

Chrysler straight 8

woodenboat

"Hi, Just want to ask how do i

"Hi, Just want to ask how do i Identify a chrysler straight 8 marine engine. I would like to see if i can get a manual . Thanks
147428.jpg
Chrysler Straight 8

You might want to run that by

You might want to run that by Old Marine Engine discussion board also.

"Sir
Looking at the picture

"Sir
Looking at the picture I struck by the distance between the plugs. In most engines the plugs sit drectly in the center of the piston, in the head. Looking at the head bolting pattern,in this case strange as it sounds this looks like a 4 clyinder engine with duel plugs. In other words two plugs per clinder, which was done in the old days to impove combustion. This appears to be a flat head so the valves move up out of the block, so more room is needed to contain the valves in the block. If you get more info on it please let us know. If you have a horspower rating or displacment rating it would help. It is also possible that it is an 8 and they used a flame or spark vent side ways into the piston chamber. Appears to be in great shape."

"Hey! I missed that, being bl

"Hey! I missed that, being blow away by the chrome head "bolts" and the sano look of it all.

Good call, Captain!

Jeff"

Thats for the comments. Do you

Thats for the comments. Do you mean that this is a 4 cly engine ? I know nothing about it . Was hoping to find out how to identify it.

"Lewis
Can you tell us when t

"Lewis
Can you tell us when the hull was produced, and yes I beleive it is a flat head 4. There should be numbers cast into the block, or a tag somewhere. Try the internet, using Chrysler, marine 4 clyinder flat head. I can't get a good idea of the head size but beleive the engine would be around or under 200 cubic inch. Appears to be a shorter stroke engine, based on what I can see of the block height. Hard to beleive it would look this good after a lot of years, so it would appear to have been clean repainted etc."

Lewis

This engine is a Chry

Lewis

This engine is a Chrysler Royal M-8 or M-48. It is a straight eight with 323.5 cu in displacement. The M-48S is rated at 165hp @ 3600rpm with max torque of 268 ft lbs @ 2000 rpm. It has a bore of 3.25 in and a stroke of 4.85 in. A manual is availabe from this site (engine manuals). It is a very thorough manual. The straight eight sounds terrific and idles very smoothly at 4-600 rpm. There should be a brass id tag on the starboard aft motor mount just under the water fittings for the oil cooler. This is not a 4 cylinder engine. I have three of them.

Arnie

"Arnie Burnham,
I have a 1953

"Arnie Burnham,
I have a 1953 Chris Craft 26'-0 w/Chrysler royal M48 in need of an intake manifold, an exaust elbow cast# 4028H and a full gasket set for the head, manifolds etc. Can you point me in a direction for these parts?

Thanks....Phil"

Back