Logo

Gas in exhaust water

alan_in_vt

"I have a 1987 bluewater with

"I have a 1987 bluewater with twin 454 crusaders. The engines have 1,100 hours on them. I change the plugs every two years and put on about 80 hours per season. I had electronic ignition installed in 2001 and the engines start and run flawlessly. The engines burn less than 2/3 of a quart of oil each during the entire season. I change the oil at the end of each season and it is viscous with no apparent gas contamination. When the engines first start a small gas slick is visible in the water near the exhaust. The same occurs when the throttle is increased in reverse to stop the boat at the slip. Everything else is normal at all speeds. Is this small amount of gas in the water normal or is there some adjustment that is needed? I think the amount of gas may be equivalent to only two or three drops."

"I will check the choke to be

"I will check the choke to be sure it is opening fully on warm-up and is lubricated. Good point, it might cause it to run rich. I launch in early May and will check it out. If there is anything else you can think of I will check that out too.
This is my first question to your site but I have often read the comments on the site and always pick up good tips. Thanks again!"

"I had the same problem with m

"I had the same problem with my Starboard 454 Crusader 350 engine, rebuilted the carb. took care of the gas leak coming from exhaust."

The oil consumption is about 2

The oil consumption is about 2/3 of a qt over 80 hours of running. I just mentioned it to rule out an oil consumption problem.

I like the idea of checking the choke as I know I have not serviced the choke linkage in the last couple of years.

I will likely leave the carb alone as the engine runs perfectly. I will keep this one in mind though. Thanks for all the ideas.

Back