Logo

Water Pump on Mercury 150HP V6

marks500

Contributing Member
"I got a Mercury 150HP V6 XR2.

"I got a Mercury 150HP V6 XR2. I was wondering how to change the water Pump? Also do you buy a new one or do you rebuild your current pump? I was looking on ebay for a pump and all I can find is rebuild kits. This is the first water pump for me, Any help would be greatly appreciated."

take the lower unit off. The p

take the lower unit off. The pump will be right there.If you operate in clean water a new impeller is likely all it needs.Some will say a complete kit is required but in fact most times you just need an impeller.GO WITH A FACTORY REPLACEMENT PART!!!!

"Well the Boat shop Near me to

"Well the Boat shop Near me told me it would be around 150 to have it replaced, I am trying to save some money and do it myself. What I am trying to figure out is a rough price on parts. I am not sure what you mean by clean water, I use it in fresh water, water is not always clear."

that your not grinding through

that your not grinding through mud and sand that tears cups up 150 dollars for impeller thats a rip

"Mark, The impeller replaceme

"Mark, The impeller replacement kits are available from Merc, Sierra and likely GLM, for $35-50. Mkae sure you get the corect kit, and get a service manual as well to guide you thru."

"Since you are trying to save

"Since you are trying to save money do yourself a favor and buy a manual for your motor. It will pay for itself very, very quickly."

"Thanks for the Info Guys, I w

"Thanks for the Info Guys, I will def. buy a manual. Right now I am getting my fuel filter, They are pretty expensive compared to an inline filter."

"If you read my previous posts

"If you read my previous posts, I stated that i got quoted around 150 to have it replaced."

"Somebody that was a rip. <[im

"Somebody that was a rip.
rofl.gif

What did they leave out?

Cramer would say:
BUYBUYBUYBUYBUY!!!!

"

Check Ebay they have mercury r

Check Ebay they have mercury repair manuals on CD rom covering 1966 to 2004 model engines for $4.50AU which would be $3.65US. its in Adobe PDF format and has step by step procedures to remove repair and or replace parts. Impeller should cost around 35-40US bucks just make sure you get an original Merc replacement part i got caught out once with a generic replacement (never again.)

"OK thanks Man, I do plan to g

"OK thanks Man, I do plan to get a manual. That is just a must have on almost any old motor, Boat or car. I am just debating if I want to do this or I want to let the shop do it. Lately I have had little Patience with my engines."

"Just remember what BANDIT sai

"Just remember what BANDIT said: the boat repairer will hit you for Approx $200+ to do the job.
$150+ will be for the labour and $50 for parts. You buy the impeller kit $35-40, DIY repair manual CD from eBay $9.00 with postage. It is a relatively straight forward procedure to change the Impeller, Just note how it comes apart refer to the manual regulary and make sure you Lube all threads with a CRC or similar lube for a few days before cracking the lower end off as some can get a bit crusty and if to tight you could sheer the bolts right off."

"The only thing I would add is

"The only thing I would add is get a buddy to help take the lower unit off - it can be heavy and akward on larger motors - so add the cost of a case of beer for the help
"

"The shop said it would be 150

"The shop said it would be 150 to do the job, They told me 80 bucks for the Parts about 70 for labor, I have it on paper so it wont be more then 150. I am working one getting the materials and the manual, I will at least give it a try. I will let you guys know how it goes, And thank you for the help."

I HAVE A 2.5 LITRE 150 HP MERC

I HAVE A 2.5 LITRE 150 HP MERCURY. THE BUZZERS ARE GOING OF AND NOTHING IS WRONG OIL OR HEAT.THE PART IS A BOX WITH SEVERAL WIRES WHAT IS IT CALLED AND HOW MUCH IS IT.

"LLoyd,Ive been having the sam

"LLoyd,Ive been having the same problem,how did you come to your conclusion,that module is about 200.00 and i want to be sure before i order one."

Back