Logo

Losing spark when hot 318

W

will c

"So I have a 1973 318 with ele

"So I have a 1973 318 with electronic ignition. Yesterday on the way back in every 10 minutes the motor would lose spark I tried removing the balast resistor for short term but that did nothing. Then after 10 min of rest spark would return, but it was weak at the coil.

when it died again I put my spare ignition module in and still no spark. I let it cool down some more then in started so I put a baggy of ice on the coil and ran it for an additional 20 minutes home at 30mph and it ran fine. is my coil going bad?

I did leave my ignition on for about 4-5 hours while fishing prior to this.

thanks, will"

Time for a new coil--and buy a

Time for a new coil--and buy a full 12 volt coil. Jumper out the ballast resistor--you won't need it any longer.

Jeff

"do the igintion coils on boat

"do the igintion coils on boats need to be marine approved?
I have an MSD Blaster in the garage.
any brand in particular that I should look to get?

thanks, will"

"Hi there, this site is givin

"Hi there, this site is giving me alot of great info, I have a Uniflite boat with twin 318's. I want to switch out my spark plugs, are the plugs with a copper core centre electrode alright to use, as I saw a message that wire with copper core were illeagal to use, the plugs that I bought are Champion RN12YC, is anyone using this type of plug. What are good wires to use for this boat as well, it doesn't have electronic ignition " yet " but will be next project.

Gerald."

"Gerald,
I switched mine t

"Gerald,
I switched mine to RN9YC, runs a little better than the 12's, I used Accel wires, bought a set for a big block & cut them to fit, an Accel coil, & got my electronic ingitions from Mopar Performance at the local dealership, ( you get all the hardware including a new distributor, even a cap & rotor), made a huge difference to the engines, they start first turn of the key now. Hope this helps."

"Thanks for the info Pete !, w

"Thanks for the info Pete !, would you happen to have the part # for the electronic ignition's that you got from Mopar?.

Gerald."

"Sorry Gerald, threw out the b

"Sorry Gerald, threw out the boxes & all the paper work with them, should be easy to find them though, a good parts guy at the dealer would have no trouble.
Pete"

Back