Logo

1982 25hp johnson ignition

kk1

"How can you tell if you have

"How can you tell if you have a cd 2 or cd 2cl ignition OR if you have breaker points. I have just purchased this motor and it idles rough when in nuetral and at slow forward or reverse. I was thinking it was a timing problem? I was also having trouble with ths starter drawing too much power. A mechanic took the starer apart and the magnet was cracked. that was replaced and with a full charged battery it starts good but drains the battery down after 5 or 6 starts. can someone help me further on this? I posted the starter prob down below last week, thanks in adsvance, kk"

"u dont have points...u have a

"u dont have points...u have a cd2 ignition..the power pack is a give away for u (electronic ign).
the timing,esp at low speed is not a prob on that engine,but adjusted at WOT."

"why would it run so rough, as

"why would it run so rough, as I had mentioned above. and would the starter have anything to do with it or is that a whole nother story. I can pull start it firts pull."

could the throttle cam adjustm

could the throttle cam adjustment be out enough to cause hard starting and rough idle?

"yep.....
but------ lets star

"yep.....
but------ lets start over..
first...run a compression ck,on the eng,as well as a spark test...
then,..if both are ok,comp fairly even,prob around 90-100 on that eng,..clean and rebuild the carb...carb prob's..are 80% of eng MINOR trbl.If u have a manual...do what is called..link and sync.
linkage and synchronization procedures.
after all this is done,...test and re-trblsht,existing,ongoing prob's.. a trained mech is looking better huh.."

"i copied this fr one of joe&#

"i copied this fr one of joe's posts...maybe he wont be to mad...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In reviewing all of the above, I see reference to testing the ignition (spark) but apparently by simply using the spark plugs? If so, this is no test as spark will jump the very small plug gap when the plug is in open air BUT it may not jump that gap when under compression.

The spark must be a strong blue lightning like flame.... a real SNAP!

To test the spark properly, you must use a 7/16" gap at cranking speed with the spark plugs removed. You can easily make such a spark tester as follows:

Spark Tester - Home Made
(J. Reeves)

A spark tester can be made with a piece of 1x4 or 1x6, drive a couple nails through it, then bend the pointed ends at a right angle. You can then adjust the gap by simply twisting the nail(s). Solder a spark plug wire to one which you can connect to the spark plug boots, and a ground wire of some kind to the other to connect to the powerhead somewhere.

Using the above, one could easily build a spark tester whereas they could connect 2, 4, 6, or 8 cylinders all at one time. The ground nail being straight up, the others being bent, aimed at the ground nail. A typical 4 cylinder tester follows:

..........X1..........X2

.................X..(grd)

..........X3..........X4

The compression mentioned (10psi difference), low reading on top cylinder, would indiate to me that either the engine has been run with a fouled top carburetor (cylinder running lean), or the ignition being weak on that cylinder.

Let us know about the spark, with it being tested with the 7/16" gap."

"I have the tools to do all th

"I have the tools to do all these things and despite how dumb my questions sound, I believe I can fix this myself. I'm old scool and not too familiar with electonic ignition.I was just looking for someone with extensive boat motor experience, like yourself, to steer me and/or confirm my thinking on the cause of the problem. How far should the spark jump? I do have manual for basic guidance."

Thanks for the info. I will do

Thanks for the info. I will do all these things this week. Then recheck the starter problem. I will post my results when I get them all. Again thanks for the input and the spark tester.

"Okay, I did the compression t

"Okay, I did the compression test= 110 on both cylinders. I made the spark test you told me how to make and I have a nice blue arc @ 7/16". I was trying to do the link and sync. According to the manual, when I advance the throttle the cam follower roller should line up with the second cam mark. The problem is the marks are already(facing the motor) an inch to the right of cam follower roller. What can I do to fix this or is this normal?"

"rotate the throttle on handle

"rotate the throttle on handle,..that plate--moves...the roller,when aligned prop--falls between the two marks,as it just touches the plate."

"No, the marks are already too

"No, the marks are already too far advanced. When I push the throttle forward the marks move further away. How do I correct this?"

The throttle should NOT OPEN b

The throttle should NOT OPEN before the mark goes by the roller!! Nothing else matters

"Thats what perplexing me. the

"Thats what perplexing me. the marks are already past the roller at neutral position. By the way I have remote throttle and shifter, does this make any difference?"

What about the small thin rod

What about the small thin rod on the side coming from the towershaft.Did somebody adjust that??. People often adjust that because it " looks wrong " when in fact it is correct.

"I adjusted that according to

"I adjusted that according to the manual. It appears to be working correctly. However, if the marks on the plate don't line up correctly then it is pointless the adjust that, am I correct?"

"This all looks a bit odd. If

"This all looks a bit odd. If having a look at the parts involved, the starting point with throtle in lowes idle pos should be that the roller #17 on the intake manifold pic should be to the left (looking towards engine) of the marks at cam # 34 at the ign pic. Encreasing throtle, the roller #17 should hit the cam #34 at the mark as only the ignition plate will turn.
147345.gif

147346.gif
"

"Yes, thats what I am understa

"Yes, thats what I am understanding, however, with mine the marks are to the right of the roller pin (looking at front of motor)at idle position. so, when I throttle forward the marks move even further. they never line up with roller pin. I just bought this motor, could someone has messed wth it to get it out like that? and how do I fix it?"

"Yes, thats what I am understa

"Yes, thats what I am understanding, however, with mine the marks are to the right of the roller pin (looking at front of motor)at idle position. so, when I throttle forward the marks move even further. they never line up with roller pin. I just bought this motor, could someone has messed wth it to get it out like that? and how do I fix it?"

"Would in that case suspect th

"Would in that case suspect the idle stop screw #84 to have been screwed too far in. The engine should start and run in idle with the mark at least 10mm to the LEFT of the roller.
147353.gif
"

"Here is a pic, if you can see

"Here is a pic, if you can see it, notice the marks are to the right of the roller cam. The idle stop screw is nowhere near in contact with the plate. Am I missing something here or is the thing not right?
147361.jpg
"

"Thank you to those of you who

"Thank you to those of you who tried to help me with this. I did go out and I figured out how to adjust that plate with the marks to align with the roller, and as I figured, the motor starts and runs better. I still have more work to do,but now I should be able to get it running good."

"Note that this 'alignment

"Note that this 'alignment' is just to have a reference point as to when the carb is supposed to start opening relative to timing advance. If everything is ok, the engine should be able to start and run at low idle even before the marks align with the carb roller."

"yeah,I figured I would servic

"yeah,I figured I would service the carb since I did all those other things, then fine tune everything and see how it goes. thanks for the diagrams they helped a little. I'm not 100% sure about that starter either, I may replace it as it was put together from pieces of another starter. You are right about the marks, when I adjusted them back from roller the motor did not want to start, so I need to work on that after carb rebuild. thanks M.R."

Back