Logo

350 stalling

D

Davey Pullen

"I have a 1989 Larson Senza 21

"I have a 1989 Larson Senza 21' with a 350 mercuriser inboard/outboard. The motor is about 2 years old. It has a mild camshaft, an aluminum intake and a Holley 650 carb. I bought a remaned carb at the beginning of last season which seemed to begin the problems. I can be cruising fine at about 2,800-3,000 rpm's, if I go any higher in the range the motor will begin to shutter after 20-30seconds then come off plane. If I quickly pull back on the throttle it will pick back up and go about its business. If I don't pull back fast enough it will cut off. I can ski behind it and cruise just fine but when I sustain a higher than 3000 rpm it will shut down. I have replaced the fuel pump, pickup in the tank, filters, tried timing but nothing fixes the issue. I am going to pull the carb down in a day or so and see what is going on inside. I am a car guy so what jets should be in the carb. It seems to me like the carb runs out of fuel. Any suggestions would be great. thanks"

"Does the fuel vent line have

"Does the fuel vent line have a dip in it? Fuel can flow backwards from the tank and fill it thereby restricting the siphoning of the fuel pump. If the fuel fill/vent lines are buried under the floor in the floatation foam, the vent could be swollen and the inside narrowed. Mine was like that and the fill hose was actually leaking into the foam.

Borrow a 6 gal. outboard fuel tank and run your boat on it to see if it cures it."

"It sure sounds like it is sta

"It sure sounds like it is starving for fuel. If you are having a problem with venting the fuel tank, try just opening/cracking the fill cap so the tank will vent. If that solves your problem then you have issues with a vent line. Otherwise, you may have to adjust the float level and float drop. Float drop determines how fast the supply to carb."

"Bill:

Why didn't I thi

"Bill:

Why didn't I think of loosening the cap?
crazy.gif
"

sometimes its the simpelist th

sometimes its the simpelist things that we forget thats why i come here to get more than one opinion. this forums helps me soo much

"Guy
Guy
errr, Stuff happens

"Guy
Guy
errr, Stuff happens like the time I was going around kicking butt for the one who moved my glasses until someone said go look in the mirror...they were on top of my skull! I let the shop take a half hour break while I stood in the stupid corner.
Hay, how about the time I tossed out a sea anchor without it being tied to the boat.
Oh what the heck.....GOTYA!"

"Dont mind Guy, he is just goi

"Dont mind Guy, he is just going a little stir crazy from not being able to get his boat in the water and its causing him to forget things.

Oh by the way did I tell you how good the weather has been here for boating lately.

You just make sure those bungs are screwed in tight sometime in March when you eventually get to see if the winterizing worked.
rofl.gif

Cheers
The Boy From Oz"

Back