Logo

Need much help on AQ125A

"Hey everyone, I'm new to

"Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum and have a few questions. I just purchased a 19' Bayliner with a Volvo Penta Aq125A/270 sterndrive motor. I got this boat for dirt cheap because the engine is seized. The owner informed me before buying it that what a volvo technician had told him was that sea water had leaked in through the exhaust and locked up the motor. But this didn't happen while it was running, it happened between seasons while sitting in his driveway(poor preventative maintenance). When he went to start it this past summer it would even turn over. So my questions begin. What would be the channels that I would need to take to repair this myself? Is the engine even repairable? If so, is this engine compatable with any of Volvo's car engines? And last but not least, is there anyone here who has overhaul a seized one of these motors? Thanks guys!"

"[b]"Is the engine even re

""Is the engine even repairable? "

Ayuh,.....
Until you pull it out,+ tear it down,....
That's pretty much Unanswerable......"

"Sea water is no friend of any

"Sea water is no friend of any engine, and if yours has been sitting for a long time chances are that the cylinder walls are ruined and the head corroded.

I would remove the head first and have a look inside the cylinders. If it does not look too bad, you may consider cleaning the cylinder walls and piston heads, then apply plenty of WD40 or diesel on the cylinder walls, let it penetrate and then attempt to move the crankshaft with the help of a deep socket and a breaker bar (and also tapping with a wooden block on top of the pistons if needed).

If the engine is ruined, you can consider marinizing a car engine. Do a search in this forum, as that topic has been discussed several times."

Back