Logo

Helicoil dropped into LU through upper vent hole

hawkeyetx1

"While changing gear oil, some

"While changing gear oil, somehow the screw pushed the 3/8-16 helicoil into the LU from the vent hole. Been using for yrs with no problem and this happens. My question is by dropping the LU can I by chance retrive with out dismanueling the gear case. Running as is I guess is out of the question. Went through the archives for two days and can not find this subject ever posted. '87 XP150 Evinrude...E150STLCU."

"Ken.... Yes, it's not a g

"Ken.... Yes, it's not a good idea to run the engine/gearcase with that stainless steel heli coil floating around in there.

Best bet is to drop the gearcase, remove the water pump assembly, then remove the upper bearing and seal assembly that exists just under the now removed water pump plate.

Hopefully by simply inverting the gearcase, the gear lube will wash that heli coil out.

Strange, I've never heard of having a heli coil forced out like that, UNLESS the screw was started into it at an angle (cross threaded)..... and I assume that was the reason for the heli coil in the first place?"

Joe...bought my rig new and th

Joe...bought my rig new and that is really the only problem that wasn't easily resolved. I have used it like I stoled it fishing over the years and would like to continue doing the same since retiring. Thanks so much for your help...I'll let you know how it turned out. BTW...don't think I cross threaded...maybe went in a little to much installing the insert. Might try a little threadlocker on the new one I put in.

"Take down the gear case and r

"Take down the gear case and remove the shift rod cover. Turn up-side down and the helicoil will come out, if You are lucky!
Why not change the impeller at the same time?"

Morten...plan on doing just th

Morten...plan on doing just that. I know this might be had to believe but there hasn't been probably two impellers put in this motor. The dealer I bought it from new said the lack of problems with it was due to never letting it sit to long. I fished around 200 days a year for the 1st 10 yrs I owned it and my 2 sons kind of grew up in it...so to speak.

"I believe!
Main problem with

"I believe!
Main problem with impellers is they gets hard and looses flexibility. The more the engine stays tilted up with the gear housing in the sun, the shorter 'life'. Impeller wear from use is next to nothing if running in clean water and not a 'sandy' river. Same goes for shaft seals that may 'burn' to the shafts when not used and regularly 'lubricated'."

Update on helicoil in lower un

Update on helicoil in lower unit....took the shiftshaft cover off and inverted the LU and out it came. A lot of work for an error on my part...I guess. New impeller on the way and as soon as it get here I'll install and button her up. Thanks again Joe and Morten for your help. Never to old to learn something new.

Back