Logo

Motor year

atilla_boy

Regular Contributor
I have the model and serial nu

I have the model and serial numbers and was wonder how to find out the year..

Model # is J15RCSD
Serial # is E5239415

it is a 15 horse and the clymer manual i got with the motor says 1965-1983.

is there a website where i can

is there a website where i can break this # down? I was given this motor and it was on a boat that was rotted due to sitting out in the weather for almost 8 years. he said I could have it if I took it out of his yard. I pulled the motor over and it has good compression. so I pulled out the spark plugs and rolled the motor over to check for spark and it does has really good spark according to a friend of mines instant yelling of ouchhhhhhhh. so i poured a little bit of gas in the spark plug holes and pulled it over a few times and it fired right up ran for a second and then quit. so I know the motor is worth fixing but I would like to know as much as possible about it before I start ordering parts so I get the right ones.....thanks in advance

"John...

Go to the top of t

"John...

Go to the top of this page. Click on "Engine Manuals" just to the left of where it says "MarineEngine.com". On the page that it takes you to, Click on "Johnson Outboards" in the middle part of the page. The next page it takes you to has a link at the bottom right that says "1980 to present". That will give you a break down of the serial number. I hope thats what you are looking for."

thank you ever so much and i p

thank you ever so much and i plan on getting this motor water worthy so there will be many more ?'s and again thank you sooo much

where do ya'll suggest I s

where do ya'll suggest I start with getting this thing sea worthy??? I was going to pull the carb and rebuild it to see if i can get it running on its own instead of dumping fuel down the plug holes....

"comp ck--
spark ck-
all goo

"comp ck--
spark ck-
all good--proceed to --clean/rebuild carb
tune up
inst new water pump--ck lower unit for water--re-seal if necc
chg lower unit oil
decarb engine during tune-up
use a clean fuel tank,good fuel line assm,mix fuel 50.1--1 pint to 6 gal gas..."

"I have an old salty dawg with

"I have an old salty dawg with a bad impeller. No id tags anywhere to be found. Trying to determine model year, horsepower etc. I've found 2 numbers on power head and one on freeze plug. As follows power head 18669314GO and directly below this number 1101 6 20 89. Freeze plug number R8530415. Any and all help appreciated."

Back