Logo

454XL engine dies

G

gbarngrover

One of my engines dies. Most

One of my engines dies. Most of the time it will restart right away. Happens both low and high rmp. I can run the boat for 4 hours straight and it will quit one or two times but start right back up. All gauges are normal.

"If the ignition key switch is

"If the ignition key switch is original, replace it with a new switch from a marine store. When installing new switch, be sure that the drain hole in the body of the switch is pointed down."

Boy I had the same sort of thi

Boy I had the same sort of thing....and tracked it down to the ballast resistor putting more than 11 volts to the coil...which in turn heats it up and causes the coil to fail...but then would start again later. Very frustrating as you
can imagine.

"Richard the coil was replaced

"Richard the coil was replaced about a year ago, is the ballast resistor a part of it? I have a parts manual for these engines but don't see the ballast resistor. Where was it located on your engine?,"

On my 1986 Model 350 (454&

On my 1986 Model 350 (454) the resistor sits directly behind the coil. (looks like 3 sugar cupes side by side.)You have two positive leads coming from the coil. one to the resistor and one to the starter. Mallory 700 I think is the part number of the resistor. My manual states: The ignition system is designed to operate on 10.5 volts to 11 volts. So you have 12-13 volts coming to the resistor and it knocks it down to reccommended 10.5 or 11v if not...as in my case the resistor was letting 11.75v pass through and after 2hrs it was heating the coil up killing the engine. After it cools it would fire up and act normal. If you don't see it in the wiring schematic...you may have a internal one....in which case...you should talk to a Crusader Mech. Hope that helps

"My engines are 1994 and have

"My engines are 1994 and have electronic igination so the resistor may be built into the coil, anyway looking for loose connections, etc. I took off rotor cap and found the rotor is wearing into the top of dist. cap, particles everwhere. Probably need new dist.
Thanks"

Back