Logo

Volvo MS 191 reverse gear

boatman49

I'm installing a Volvo MD7

I'm installing a Volvo MD7A with a 1.91:1 MS gear in a boat I'm restoring for myself. The boat came with a right hand prop and I'm wondering if this gear minds which way it turns. My Alden cutter has the same gear but a left hand prop. I've looked through all the manuals and there are no warnings or requirements so I assume it's ok. Anyone have any experience with this?

Volvo 7A and MS gear will only

Volvo 7A and MS gear will only use left hand wheel in forward. Right hand will run gear in reverse for forward thrust. Gear was not made for that continued operation.

I have a Volvo MD3B with a 1.9

I have a Volvo MD3B with a 1.91:1 MS Box. It is now not going into reverse fully. The Shaft turns slowing in reverse but will not inrease RPM with additional engine RPM. Anybody have any ideas whats wrong ?

To Martin Paget. Silly questi

To Martin Paget. Silly question but have you checked the prop to ensure it is not all balled up with crud or something wrapped on it? This will prevent RPM from getting to where it sould be. How is forward?

"Have you checked the oil leve

"Have you checked the oil level? This gear has cone clutches which are supposed to increase their grip with an increase in rpm, if I understand correctly. This might be compromised if the oil level is low.As I found out, on this site, you should have a left hand prop. Do you? If you ran with a right hand prop, you could damage the gear."

"Thanks , yes it is a left han

"Thanks , yes it is a left hand prop. It is not fouled and it seems fine in ahead gear. I have just learned that it may be the selector needs adjustment by the use or removal of shims under the bolt on the top. The one that is in the middle of the selector lever. I am going to to try adding or removing them is see what happens. I will let you know"

Finally resolved what my GBox

Finally resolved what my GBox problem was. There were two issues. The fwd shaft seal had failed allowing engine oil into the box. I should have picked this up staright away because the oil was black as you would expect for engine oil and not clean as it should be for GBox oil. The second problem and the main cause was bearings had failed allowing the gears to move sufficient to prevent the clutch engaing correctly or fully. Its now all fixed and working perfectly. Thanks for the help.

Back