Logo

72 50 hp coil

willstox

Contributing Member
I have no fire comeing out of

I have no fire comeing out of the coil......should I look for a problem other then coil? or just replace the coil and start from there?...

"also, let me just say.....I b

"also, let me just say.....I bought this motor for 150, I thought it would make a nice little project, you know, get it running, but should I cut my loss and part this thing out if it is not the coil?"

"William, you may want to inve

"William, you may want to invest 20 bucks or so in an ohm meter if you don't have one. That will allow you to test the coil and the stator and other wires in general.

The ignition system on this model is no longer available from Merc, but you may be able to find "old stock" or used parts if you can determine exactly what is broken.

Simple part swapping as a method of troubleshooting will only cost you $$ and leave you with more questions (and usually a motor that still won't start)....."

"Thank you Graham, I am going

"Thank you Graham, I am going to get a repair manual and a ohm reader today................about the part's, no one sell's after market? and what part's are interchangable with a 72?.what years?"

The thing to do here is to to

The thing to do here is to to an overall evaluation of the motor!Compression test / remove the intake bypass covers to inspect pistons and rings / remove the water pump impeller / check the lower unit etc.The last thing you want to do is get spark / get the motor running / spend money and then find out it is junk! Need expensive parts ? Just holler as there are plenty used available.

An easy retrofit on those moto

An easy retrofit on those motors is the earlier magneto of a MERCURY 4 cylinder.Imagine no battery required and one wire to turn it on.Very reliable and easy to fix.Available on E-BAY all the time.

I was in your same position. I

I was in your same position. I replied to your earlier post so you can go back to it to see how it worked out for me.

Back