Logo

8 HP Yachtwin Conversion

ratchethead

"Moved from sail to power...I

"Moved from sail to power...I have an '85 8 HP Yachtwin Long shaft. Can a non-factory-trained mechanic convert this dude to a standard shaft? Is it economically feasible (value vs. cost)or should I look for another motor? The motor is in good shape and runs well and I'd like to use it on a 14' row boat. Yea, I could increase the height of the transom, but......Thanks in advance."

"it could....be done....u woul

"it could....be done....u would need...a new short drive shaft,a new water tube,..and a shift rod coupler--short...and the bolts that go w it..maybe a few other lil do-dads.You remove the 5" long exhaust extension.. u can go to evinrude.com and look up your parts,..no prices tho.."

You need the shorter drive sha

You need the shorter drive shaft.You can cut the water tube.THERE IS NO SHIFT COUPLER on that motor and you could easily modify yours to be shorter.And yes there is a new EVINRUDE website that has the prices!

"where is this website,that h

"where is this website,that has prices.........do tell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

"yep,...no coupler,my mistake.

"yep,...no coupler,my mistake.....was just thinking about a lil older eng's.....that being said............. he will need a new ...short....shift rod......my point was,.....sev things,need to be changed....."

JWB---- The shift rod is easy

JWB---- The shift rod is easy to shorten. Try " shop.evinrude.com " !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"i am aware of that site.....b

"i am aware of that site.....but,i have never been able to look up parts,and get prices on that site,..maybe its my comp...but,i would also think,that the dealers would be yelling.... are u able to look up actual parts,not oil & props,parts,and get prices on them?...if so,i need to see why i am not able,..that would be a huge benefit...."

As I said it is a new site and

As I said it is a new site and you should look it up.It is NOT THE SAME AS THE BRP CATALOGS!

maybe they'll get the part

maybe they'll get the parts working....are u able to look up parts and prices?...not oil and acc's?

"I am looking it up..-- shop.

"I am looking it up..-- shop.evinrude.com -...cant access parts!,..now oil, props etc,..comes up..."

Well now it all shows up on my

Well now it all shows up on my computer.So something is wrong----- I just looked up parts and prices for a 84- 140hp ---no problem at all.Try it again later.

"ok......thanks......i have di

"ok......thanks......i have disabled active x on this comp,cuz it runs so slow,would that do it."

All I can think of is that you

All I can think of is that your computer is not capable and maybe try it on a friends or have a friend look it up on a faster machine.

"thanks,..my comp is new at th

"thanks,..my comp is new at the shop..this is an older one at hm.....will try later.."

Back