Logo

Sears 7 hp running problems

A

Aaron Johnson

"I have a hard time getting my

"I have a hard time getting my motor to run right, it seems to smoke a lot, I run it with 50 to one mix. Is this right for fuel mix. I bought it off Ebay and I believe it sat for a while without being run. I can get it to run, but it seems like it wants to rev up and not come down to idle very good. I have tried messing with carburator settings with no luck. I have the carburator off and am cleaning it now. However I was hoping to find a carb kit somewhere or at least gaskets. Where can I find these. I have another question. When I would go to start my motor on the boat in the water, I could not get it successfully started and it seemed like gas was leaking into the water. How can gas be leaking through into the water with only attempting start, not getting successfull start. I could start this motor out of the water with no problems, but did have running complications like previously mentioned. I know over and over you say it is a lawn mower engine, but I don't know how to run it as far as rich level. I have choke and richness knobs and it is a twist throttle. My # is 217-59440 and the serial # is 164668. The red rubber piece they call the fuel pump does not appear to be damaged or torn, but I am tempted to replace it."

the leakage will stop once itr

the leakage will stop once itruns awhile. its apparently been sitting awhile. the smoking will also stop hopefully. check ebay for your parts first and a manual. i will send you a simple trouble shooting pdf file for small out boards. when you get the kinks out these are really good engines at least mine is and it sat forever. the carb idle screw turn all the way in and back out 1 turn. if you need more help or resources let me know.

"Okay, I have gone through the

"Okay, I have gone through the carb, and cleaned all parts, replaced seals, fuel filters, filter screens, gaskets etc.... I put the carb on and she fired right up. It then reved up and it then dies. I start it up, and it does the same thing. sometimes I am able to push the choke knob in a little and keep it running a little while longer, but it still dies. I also replaced the spark plug, I also turned the screw in the bottom of the carb bowl all the way in and then 1 turn out. No more gas leaking. Sounds good when it does run, just can't get her to keep going. Any other ideas?"

"No adjustment on the side. Un

"No adjustment on the side. Unless you mean the richness knob next to the choke knob. This is the only adjustment other than the carb bowl screw. When I pull my plug it is wet, is this an indication of improper gas mix? I also need to know if I should have this motor in a barrel of water while working on it? it is aircooled but is there something else I should do. It is mounted on a board on my floor vise right now."

the lower leg is water cooled

the lower leg is water cooled and there is an impellor. not much water goes up the leg and a fine mist will come out the holes and exhaust. get it running and adjust your richness adjustment and see if you can keep it running

Back