Logo

Volvo Penta D4 and D6 injector problems

truls

"I read in a couple of pleasur

"I read in a couple of pleasure craft magazines in Norway that there had been breakdowns on a total numbers of 32 Volvo Penta D4/D6 engines at the end of year 2007 due to an explosion in the sylinder of copper surrounding the injectors. This explosion leads to too high pressure in the cooling water section of the eninge, and as a result of that, the frost plugs leave the block and causes the cooling water to disappear, and then the breakdown is a fact. On some engines, pieces of the block have been found in the bottom of the keel.

Volvo Penta has confirmed this information, but they do not know why this is happening. They fear that the diesel sold in Norway could be a problem, but tests of the diesel show that it is of good quality. Also, on some D4/D6 one or more of the injectors have been replaced by new ones which have saved the engines from breakdown. Volvo Penta says that only in Norway they have experienced this problem with the injectors and breakdowns on D4/D6 engines.

Does anyone here know if this problem with the injectors have happened elsewhere than in Norway, for example in the UK, USA or in Europe? I would appreciate if anyone could check this out, and, if something found, could inform about it at this forum! Links to magazines and documents would be fine!

Thank you in advance!"

"A friend of mine is having a

"A friend of mine is having a problem w/ D4 injectors. Volvo is going to fix the problem this week. Motors were installed last year, not too many hrs on them and it broke down already. Volvo has had him waiting for 2 weeks, that is too much down time when we have a short boating season."

Back