Logo

Recomended Spare Parts

"I have a newly aquired 1979 1

"I have a newly aquired 1979 15hp Johnson motor.

It starts idles and runs well. I will use it on a 14 foot jon boat in the NJ Salt Marshes and also on a lake in Bucks County Pa.

What are good spares for me to keep with my tool kit on the boat? I can dig stuff up on ebay etc... between now and the springtime. I've fixed and built just about everything so far but outboards are new. I'm sure you all will have recommendations for spares to get me home should I have some kind of failure.

Regards,

Bill"

"Bill.... A spare set of spark

"Bill.... A spare set of spark plugs and powerpack, along with the necessary tools to exchange them."

Bill..i agree with Joe all the

Bill..i agree with Joe all the way on plugs and power pack...most people hesitate because of the cost of power pack but if you boat long enough sooner or later it will save you a night on the water or a ruined trip...i would also add a inductive timing light to the tool box...one decision that has to made is whether you have a fire or a fuel problem...when you are dead in the water and working from inside the boat that tool make that decision quick and easy..i have a used army surplus ammunition box that just fits under console..about 14-16 inches square..absolutely moisture proof..some of the stuff i carry is used but will get me in if i need it..gas line..fuel bulb...clamps..2 kinds of tape...multi meter..cheap socket sets from harbor freight etc...spark plugs..power pack(that was tested)...i do not carry a stator...a stator will normally give you a warning failure a couple times before it craps completely out...one other thing...when you hook that gas line up to a evinrude make sure it snaps on...if you can pull it off without pressing the little lever then its not seated...you can fill the carbs ec but sooner or later the boat will set down in water just as if you have run out of gas..the carbs will be empty..

"well,....whew!....if u are go

"well,....whew!....if u are gonna carry a timing lght etc,.......and all that stuff.....u might as well,at least,carry u a new wtr imp--18-3050 sierra"

Back