Logo

Engine knocking on 200 E Vindicator

mrinvestor36

"I have a 97 200 Evinrude Vind

"I have a 97 200 Evinrude Vindicator. The engine at idle runs solid--checked compression and its good on all cylinders, but once you put it in gear you start to hear a knock that sounds like its in the engine. At idle you can hit the hot-foot and she sounds awesome, but once in gear and running across the lake you can hear the knock. The shop opened the block all cylindes look good "no scars on the walls" they want to (mic) the crank. They also told me it *could be* the crank bearing... Someone please help before I spend alot of money..."

"I find it odd that they would

"I find it odd that they would crack the block open for a knock without opening up the bearings. Scarred cylinder walls won't knock, the compression will just go away.

If you're sure it's only while in gear, I'd take a look at the prop. If the prop took a good whack, the hub could have failed out of round. This could allow the prop to contact the gearcase housing. I'd try taking the prop off, and putting it in gear to see if the noise is still present. I suppose a failure in the gearcase could cause the noise too, but I don't think it would function properly. If it's knocking that loud, There should have been some fairly obvious signs in the crankcase when they had it apart that far.

Putting a load on the engine (in gear) will make a knock more severe than at idle, but you should still hear an engine knock by goosing the throttle quickly. If you can hear it at idle in gear, put someone else in the driver's seat and idle along. Get yourself one of those mechanic's stethescopes with a long probe on the end. Probe around on the engine by each cylinder, and on the crankcase between cylinders to see if you can pinpoint the noise.

D"

"The shop took the fly wheel o

"The shop took the fly wheel off and as I remember there was a bearing that cuppled the top shaft. After removal of the bearing, he showed me where the shaft appeared to be getting hot on one side of the shaft, the other side was fine. Your right about hearing a knock at idle when goosing the engine, but that's not the case she sounds good at idel. Only when there is a load. I like the idea of useing the probe rod--but its too late its opened now. Would the lower unit do this?"

"If the powerhead is opened up

"If the powerhead is opened up already, I'd have the shop do a complete rebuild. If they open up the bearings it should be apparent if one is causing the problem. If no problem is found, at least you have a fresh engine with no worries.

I don't know about the shaft getting hot on one side. It would seem that the heat would conduct around the shaft. The knock and the heat would indicate different types of failures. Heat would indicate a lubrication failure, or a roller siezed in the cage. The knock would indicate a mechanical failure of the cage or one of the rollers. In that case, the bearing would most likely come out in pieces, and the shaft would be torn up pretty bad.

If they put the engine back together and it still knocks, it's time to do more troubleshooting with the prop, lower unit, etc. In that case, I'd try it with a different prop first. If that doesn't do it, I'd see if the shop has a different lower unit to try."

"Defective/worn needle and rol

"Defective/worn needle and roller bearings does not produce 'knocks'. If worn they will 'grind'.
Piston clearance may be another issue, but normally more noticeable unloaded than loaded. If 'knocking' under load I would check all bushings and rubber elements. It might be a defective element causing it all, perhaps together with a unbalanced prop."

"'knocking' under load

"'knocking' under load I would check all bushings and rubber elements----------------------......
what rubber---elements----r gonna cause a knock?......in the last 31 years,.....the outboard knocks i have dealt w/are rod bearings,.crank brngs,or,wrist pin....."

"I tend to agree with jwbmarin

"I tend to agree with jwbmarine.
I must add, when dealing with an engine knock, you should always check the gearcase oil before anything.Trouble shooting engine knocks 101 at service school. Gearcase can easily produce and engine like knock that resignates up to the powerhead and sounds very very close to an internal engine knock."

Back