Logo

Evinrude etec starting problem

talonz82

"I have twin 60hp e-tecs new i

"I have twin 60hp e-tecs new in 2006, the starboard started with intermittent starting problems, sometimes it wouldn't start or it would start and then not accelerate. Ran diagnostics software and no faults, checked spark, fuel pump, injectors with PC, swapped computers with good engine, no change. I can hear the fuel pump turn on and off and injectors clicking when I test with he PC. Fuel tanks higher than engine, filters new, fuel bulb is hard, tank is vented. Could this be a voltage isue? I heard that if the input voltage is even slightly off it won't run right...thoughts, ideas? Can I run injector cleaner through this engine?"

"Peter, still under warranty -

"Peter, still under warranty - take it in. Side note - how old are the plugs? ETEC's like all the direct injected motors "eat" plugs - most times they need replacing at about the 50 hour mark (which doesn't quite fit the advertised 3 years before service - unless you rarely use the motor)..."

"Hey Graham, thats the problem

"Hey Graham, thats the problem, my dealer doesn't have a clue, wants to R & R everything, swappin PCs back and forth, thats no way to T/S, I have another e-tec mechanic showing up tomorrow a.m., if it was a pleasure craft no biggy, but we use this vessel to make a living and everyone here knows the premium we pay for the word warranty, I'll pass on the plug info and repost our findings, thank you for helping.

Peter"

"this engine,is to new,and too

"this engine,is to new,and too complicated to 'backyard fix'...take it to a good dealer,so that your warranty wont be comprimised,.or the engine..!!....tinkering w/the fuel inj engines,..is asking for lots of trbl..if they are getting no codes,after all those problems,...something is lying,broken,faultyetc.....it should def be throwing codes!"

"Sure! I would love to! Just g

"Sure! I would love to! Just give me the name of a good dealer and I 4%^^&%* will! In the USVI. Heres the deal, no codes, period! The technician used basic troubleshooting skills a good mechanic has, sight, smell, hearing etc... we and I mean ME too! Found that the stator and flywheel magnets...totally shot! only giving our engine 25 of the 55 volts the subsystems needed, we're back in business! When in doubt back to the basics people, the mechanic told me this wasn't the first time he has seen this either. Peace!

Peter"

"interesting.....i guess the n

"interesting.....i guess the new technology,..has'nt caught up w/a good mechanic....glad u got her going...the no codes thing...is a puzzler,your mech should pursue via BRP...for your info..."

Back