Logo

30 Horse overheated

"Well ive had a 1985 30 horse

"Well ive had a 1985 30 horse johnson for about a year now thats been overheated..has almost no compression...i decided to tackle it today myself and when i pulled the head off i see the bottom piston is almost like melted on the top..and theres splatters of metal on the head and spark plug. The motor did not sieze and the cylinder walls still look good. My questions are im assuming this piston should be replaced? or is that not required..and if i replaced one do i absolutly have to do the other one...i want to keep the repairs as cheap as possible...since it overheated and the compression is like 15..im assuming that it is just the rings that were affected by this right? this will be my first motor complete tear down..does anyone have any tips on doing this...

Thanks,
Corey"

"What to be replaced may only

"What to be replaced may only be told after disassembling the engine and inspect. I would calculate 2 pistons minimum. When ordering parts, do not forget Gel Seal ll for the cranck case sealing!!!"

alright..any idea what else is

alright..any idea what else is a possibility to be bad? ...so two pistons is a NECESSITY? what would happen if i just did one and rings on both...im just trying to keep this cheap.

"If I was that clever in '

"If I was that clever in 'guessing' that I could give You an exact answer without having seen the parts, I would probably start betting on horses!
Suggest You tear it apart, take some pics of the damaged items and then we might be able to answer."

Back