Logo

Changing to Internal Resistor Coil

bkotheimer

"I've ordered internal res

"I've ordered internal resistor coils to replace the two external ballast resistor coils currently on my 1985 4.3L (262) Crusaders. I am looking for guidance regarding how to bypass the resistors....

On each engine, there are two wires feeding the incoming side of the resistor and then one wire going from the lower voltage side to the positive post on the coil, where it meets up with another wire.

Assuming that the two wires that currently feed the high voltage side of the resistor correspond to the two outputs of my battery switches (I have 2x2 batteries/switches), and that the direct lead to the coil is a bypass from the starter to allow full voltage when starting the engine, do I gang all three wires at the positive post of the new (internally resisted coil) and call it a day? Or is that going to triple the voltage feeding the coil and burn it out (or worse)? If not, what is the proper method to bypass?

Any and all advice is appreciated."

"You can't "burn"

"You can't "burn" anything out, since it's already getting 12 volts from the same source. I'd gang the resistor wires all together, and leave the starter bypass as is. Won't hurt a thing.

Jeff

PS: Smart move, getting rid of those old ballast resistors! A few years back, a plug popped out of one of mine and ruined a trip we had in mind."

"I made the change this past w

"I made the change this past weekend, and it turned out great. Haven't taken her out, but I swear it sounds better just idling in the slip."

Back