Logo

70hp Johnson canbt find neutral

hen_feen1034

This board has been awesome ge

This board has been awesome getting my boat running like a champ. THANK YOU first of all!

I've been having problems with my control box for quite some time but have been able to run my boat regardless of not being able to change gears into Neutral and Reverse...I just shut the motor off when I need to. My control box has been kept in Neutral for a while but every time I start it the propeller turns like it's in "Drive". I started messing with the circular knobs on the right side of the motor opposite of the starter/solenoid where the acceleration lines connect and managed to get the propeller to stop turning by turning the knobs into one direction. (I figured I'd mess around with it but don't really know what these black knobs go to)

I'm sure there's something I'm missing...the control box engages the drive/neutral/and reverse so is there a way to manually do this without the control box? Need some help with this please.

Thanks in advance!

What is the model number of th

What is the model number of that engine? There's a lot of different year 70hp models out there.

"As long as you're sure it

"As long as you're sure it's a 1978 model, that's fine. Have you had the lower unit off recently and possibly turned the shift rod down or up within the lower unit? The measurement in neutral between the top surface of the lower unit to the center of the shift rod hole is critical as follows.

1978 - 1981 - 70, 75hp (L) 21-23/32" plus/minus 1/32". Have shift rod in neutral.

Remove the throttle and shift cables from the engine clamping area. Now, with the engine not running, spin the prop with your foot and shift the engine manually at the engine. Engagement should be equal, neutral showing the shift linkage lever about dead center and vertical.

Let us know what you find."

So I'm guessing all this t

So I'm guessing all this time I've been turning it on while it's in drive then...darn! I'll remove those cables and mess with it a little bit...try to take pictures too of what I'm doing. I'll get back to you...thanks again Joe.

"When it's certain that ev

"When it's certain that everything is as it should be with the control box and the engine shift linkage, the shift cable itself can be centered as follows.

(Centering Shift Cable)
(J. Reeves)

When all is as it should be, the proper method to adjust the shift cable is to disconnect the cable from the engine. Move the shift linkage on the engine to find the center of the play in neutral, and when found, leave it centered.

Now, grab the end of the shift cable sleeve, push and pull it to find the center of the play there, and center that play.

Adjust the trunion on the threaded portion of the shift cable so that the centered play of the cable lines up with the centered play of the engine's shift linkage. Install and lock the shift cable with the retaining clamp in that position. That's it.

When time permits, visit my store (copy/paste) at: http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

Back