Honda 225

T

tri1297

would any recomend the 225 hon

would any recomend the 225 honda 4 strokes over any yamaha or merc

ia am in miami fl great servic

ia am in miami fl great service minutes away any motor

"I would echo J-I-T's comm

"I would echo J-I-T's comments. There is 3 Yami dealers in my immediate area, but not one has a certified tech. That means "no warranty work". You want to make sure the place that sells you the motor can also fix it. Dealers aren't overly keen on having you bring in a motor they didn't sell - especially if they have their own clients to deal with - and if they do, your motor tends to go to the back of the line...."

as far as problems are concern

as far as problems are concerned is the honda more prone or would they hold up as good as merc or yami never owned or rode with them

"It really is all about parts/

"It really is all about parts/service availability and regular maintenance on the part of the owner.

Honda builds a great engine, so do all of the rest of the major builders.

Within 100 miles of where I live there is 14 Merc dealers almost as many OMC (not a single Tohatsu and haven't seen a Honda either), that means lots of service, parts etc - so I, like alot of others in the area have Merc's hangin' on the back of the boat.

Occassionally a model will come out that is prone to problems, but in the bigger picture that is rather rare (although those are the motors you tend to hear the most about).

Whatever you buy, follow the service schedule. Far more motors end up in the scrap heap because the owner was too lazy to change (or have changed) simple things like the impeller or engine/lower unit oil. The best built motor will fail if it is neglected.

If you can't or are unwilling to learn to do regular service yourself then select a motor that requires less service.

A 4 stroke will need oil changes, tune-up's, impeller changes, valve adjustments, belt adjustments etc - at a shop that could run you a few hundred dollars a year.

The new "direct injected" 2 strokes only require the impeller, lower unit oil and new plugs at the service intervals. But they are often harder on plugs (that go for about 15 bucks a piece).

I guess what I'm getting at is, do alot of homework before you decide what to buy. Answer the questions - can I do the work myself - if not is a choice of shops available - what will it cost a year in maintenance etc..."

you cant beat hondas hey it ev

you cant beat hondas hey it even is the best looking motor and the reason theres less techs around because very rarely does honda let you down you pay for what you get.

SPAM???? You must have a weird

SPAM???? You must have a weird definition of spamming. I am merely responding to this post. This guy is wanting to know recommendations on the Honda 225. I have experience with 2 of them and I was merely directing him to my documentation instead of copying and pasting it here or re-typing it. His specific question was "would any recomend the 225 honda 4 strokes over any yamaha or merc". I have owned 2 Mercurys and 2 Hondas. I was recommending Mercury over Honda and giving him my reasons by directing him to my web page. Honda Service sucks big time and people need to know that. DON'T BUY HONDA!!!!

"JUST-IN-TIME

All motors ar

"JUST-IN-TIME

All motors are NOT the same. You must not have even read my web page at http://hondagrief.com. Even today's Honda 225 is much different from their first model even thought they physically look identical."

yes spam

as in going to 8 d

yes spam

as in going to 8 diffenernt post and posting the same

THAT IS SPAM my friend

all you had to do is put 1 post up

"Well, excuse me for trying to

"Well, excuse me for trying to participate in this board. I merely read thru many posts and responded to ones that looked like they could benefit from my experience. If I would have only posted to one item, the other posters would not have been notified of my post and would not have benefited from the information I took time to compile. It's only because you are so active on this board that you were annoyed by the multiple notifications. If I were trying to SPAM, I would have posted many many more times, even to posts that are not relevant to the information I am providing. Also, my page is not a commercial page and I have nothing to gain here. I am just trying to help others to not fall into the same Honda trap that I did. I appologize and will leave this board alone. I would be interested if other users also feel I abused this board or if my information helped them."

"I prefer Honda, but I've

"I prefer Honda, but I've only had mine for 3 weeks. Seriously tho I think you can have big trouble with any of them from time to time just like cars, but back up support and certified tech's will get the job done right the first time"

"I totally agree, in general i

"I totally agree, in general it is difficult to beat the quality of a Honda in the 4 stroke world.

And 1 bad experience does not mean that everything they crank out is junk. To our poster with all the honda problems, I wonder if you will return to a row boat when your Merc blows up on you and the dealer/mfg is not willing to help...."

"LOL. I'm not about to row

"LOL. I'm not about to row out 100 miles offshore.
lol.gif
I have some friends that have had some real good luck with the Verado. What I am looking at is that Mercury fixed my blown engine even though it was out of warranty. Honda would not fix my blown engine even though it was caused by their defective thrmostat gasket. It all comes down to Service. I do admit, the Honda Engine is a good one, (if you can keep out the corrosion) it's just their Service that Sucks. And that means a whole lot."

"you know hate to bring up a o

"you know hate to bring up a old post but I read Mark p Millers greif letter and having had my honda 225's twin for the last 7 years I have seen some of the same problems with service from Honda rep for Fla,o2 sensors last about 2 yrs at 185.00 each , cowlings warping at almost 200.00 each motor. Its pretty crazy that my motors had same problem thanks for sticking with your post and info"

"All makes have pros and cons.

"All makes have pros and cons...but to be honest their are more problems caused by owners themselves than by the manufacturers. Lack of maintenance, running an engine with a minor problem without dealing with it and then creating a major problem. Often its owner abuse...how many boats do I see that run pinned wide open all the time!!! Or the ones that don't even warm an engine up...just start it and go. I seen 4 strokes in for repairs and when my mechanic buddy opened the oil drain what came out looked like tar. We joked that the guy must have seen an extra zero on the reccommended hrs between oil changes."

"nope
problem was honda did n

"nope
problem was honda did no r and d

when they had early models, they used mercury gear cases"

Back